Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Data Model Questions /

How to Display Data Results in 2 Well Formatted Rows

Go to End

12 Posts   4470 Views

Andrew Houle

Community Member, 132 Posts

14 January 2009 at 10:43am

Edited: 14/01/2009 10:44am

I'm not sure the best way to word this, but here goes:

I want to display my data results from a query in 2 rows preferably using css divs, but I'd take it in two table rows at this point.

Here's where I'm at right now. I have a simple function in the Page.php controller class that gets all the SponsorPage results:

function getSponsors() {
      $sp = DataObject::get("SponsorPage", "", "", "", "");
      return $sp;
   }

Then I have the following in my template that displays the info:

<h1>Sponsors</h1>
<ul>
<% control getSponsors %>
   <li><a href="$Link" title="Go to the $Title.XML page" class="$LinkingMode">$MenuTitle</a></li>
<% end_control %>
</ul>

Being that you can't use the modulus operator from w/in templates in SS, how can I manipulate the data into two columns. I figure I have to do something in the Page controller class, but I don't even know where to start. I would like the code to produce either two divs like:

<div class="col float-left">
         <h1>Sponsors</h1>
         <ul>            
            <li><a href="data-model-questions/editpost/252268#">Campus Door</a></li>
            <li><a href="data-model-questions/editpost/252268#">Engineer Your Life</a></li>   
            <li><a href="data-model-questions/editpost/252268#">Key Bank</a></li>                  
            <li><a href="data-model-questions/editpost/252268#">Daemen College</a></li>
         </ul>         
      </div>

<h1>Sponsors</h1>
         <ul>            
            <li><a href="data-model-questions/editpost/252268#">Campus Door</a></li>
            <li><a href="data-model-questions/editpost/252268#">Engineer Your Life</a></li>   
            <li><a href="data-model-questions/editpost/252268#">Key Bank</a></li>                  
            <li><a href="data-model-questions/editpost/252268#">Daemen College</a></li>
         </ul>         
      </div>

or a table like:

<h1>Sponsors</h1>
<table>         
            <tr><td><a href="data-model-questions/editpost/252268#">Campus Door</a></td>
            <td><a href="data-model-questions/editpost/252268#">Engineer Your Life</a></td></tr>   
            <tr><td><a href="data-model-questions/editpost/252268#">Key Bank</a></td>                  
            <td><a href="data-model-questions/editpost/252268#">Daemen College</a></td></tr>
         </table>   

Any help you could give would be very much appreciated. TY!      

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4096 Posts

14 January 2009 at 11:05am

First things first, you can clean up your function a bit.

$sp = DataObject::get("SponsorPage", "", "", "", "");
return $sp;

becomes

return DataObject::get("SponsorPage");

As for formatting your rows, you can't use a modulus, but you can use the $EvenOdd control variable.

<li class="$EvenOdd">

Andrew Houle

15 January 2009 at 3:04am

Hey Aaron,

Good idea, that would probably be the easiest way to do it, and I actually now how to get that done :)

Do you know a way to count the total rows, divide that in half, then display the first half in the first div and the second half in a second div? Or is it just not worth it?

Thanks for the help!

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

15 January 2009 at 3:40am

Edited: 15/01/2009 4:20am

you could probably do something like this, it's a little crude but should work:

function Sponsers(){
return DataObject::get("SponserPage");
}

function Row1(){

$Half = ($this->Sponsers()->Count()) /2;

return DataObject::get("SponserPage", "", "", "", "0, $Half");
}

function Row2(){

$Total = ($this->Sponsers()->Count()) ;
$Half = ($Total / 2)+1;

return DataObject::get("SponserPage", "", "", "", "$Half, $Total");

}

Then just do this in your template:

<div id="row1">
<% control Row1 %>

<% end_control %>
</div>

<div id="row2">
<% control Row2 %>

<% end_control %>
</div>

Andrew Houle

15 January 2009 at 4:11am

Hi aram,

Thanks for your help, that's exactly what I'm after. I had to make a couple of slight changes to your code to get to where I could test it. Mainly add a semicolon to the end of the DataObject lines and spell Sponsors w/ an 'o'. However, I still can't get it to work the way I want. I'm just working with the Row1 function for now. I can get it to print the sponsors if I take out the divide by 2 part. But if I leave that in it causes an error page. I can manipulate the limit w/ other math functions, ie $Half = ($this->Sponsors()->Count()) - 1;

Any ideas why $Half = ($this->Sponsors()->Count()) / 2; causes it to break down?

I'll keep looking into it.

Andrew Houle

15 January 2009 at 4:19am

Nevermind, I got it :) For the sake of completion here is what I found out. You have to round the first column up using the ceil() function and the second column down using the floor() function just in case you get a number with a remainder. So the Row1() function would look something like:

function Row1() {
      $Split = ($this->Sponsors()->Count()) / 2;
      $Half = ceil($Split);
      return DataObject::get("SponsorPage", "", "", "", "0, $Half");
   }

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

15 January 2009 at 4:25am

ah great, that will come in handy, thanks for posting :) Glad I could help, just gotta get control of my typos now! hehe

Andrew Houle

15 January 2009 at 4:33am

Thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. Here is my final code for anyone who may try this later:

Class Excerpt...

function Sponsors() {
      return DataObject::get("SponsorPage");
   }

function Row1() {
      $Half = ceil(($this->Sponsors()->Count()) / 2);
      return DataObject::get("SponsorPage", "", "", "", "0, $Half");
   }

function Row2() {
      $Total = ($this->Sponsors()->Count()) ;
      $Half = floor(($Total / 2))+1;
      return DataObject::get("SponsorPage", "", "", "", "$Half, $Total");
   }

Template Excerpt...

<h1>Sponsors</h1>
         <ul>            
            <% control Row1 %>
   <li><a href="$Link" title="Go to the $Title.XML page" class="$LinkingMode">$MenuTitle</a></li>
<% end_control %>
         </ul>         
      </div>

<h1>Sponsors</h1>
<ul>
<% control Row2 %>
<% end_control %>
</ul>
      </div>

Go to Top