Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Data Model Questions /

Accessing Product properties from a Sitetree object

3 Posts   1424 Views

chris_d

Community Member, 21 Posts

15 January 2009 at 6:23am

Edited: 15/01/2009 6:33am

Edit:
Turns out this was embarissinbly simple... DataObject::get_by_id( 'Product', $data->ID) was what i was looking for

old post:
Hey guys,

Great CMS btw, very extendable :)

My question is say I've got a Product page from Sitetree as an object, how do I access its product properties?

Ie I've got $data which is a product page, so if I type echo $data->Title; I get the title of the product
How do I print the price of the product? I can't just do echo $data->Price as it's accessing the Sitetree table not the Product table.
Do I need to perform a SQL query to search for a product in product table with the same ID as the page?

Any hints would be great,

Thanks
chris

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

15 January 2009 at 6:42am

Edited: 15/01/2009 6:44am

Hi Wombleme

You can access the product page properties in various ways, but essentially you grab the page from the database and then access it as a DataObject.

In a template you use control blocks (<% control SomeFunction %>) to return sets of DataObjects that you can then access recursively.

Lets say you have a function in your model which returns all of your product pages, it might look something like this:

function GetProducts(){
return DataObject::get("ProductPage");
}

then in your template you can do this:

<% control GetProducts %>
$Title
$InStock
$Price
$Description
<% end_control %>

There are other ways, for example <% control Children %> will return all of the children of the current page in the same way as above.

Alternatively if you are only returning a single object then you don't need control blocks at all, you can just do something like $GetProduct.Price

Hope that helps :)

chris_d

Community Member, 21 Posts

20 January 2009 at 6:31am

Thanks aram, very useful :) like most things in ss it seems alot simpler after examples