Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Data Model Questions /

DataObject PAge

Go to End

15 Posts   4798 Views

erwanpia

Community Member, 63 Posts

18 February 2009 at 11:47pm

Hi, I have read and understood the dataobject tutorials and how to display them on a page

what I would like now is to create a unique page for each dataobject row. Is this possible and how ?

Thanks

E.

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 604 Posts

24 February 2009 at 11:35am

Hiya,

I don't quite follow what you're trying to do here. Can you be a bit mroe detailed?

Cheers
Aaron

erwanpia

Community Member, 63 Posts

25 February 2009 at 6:41am

Edited: 25/02/2009 6:58am

Ron, I was enquiring about dataobjects : I know how to display a list of records on a page, but I don't know how to create a unique url for each record of a databobject

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4094 Posts

25 February 2009 at 8:08am

If the DataObject needs a URLSegment, it needs to be a Page, not a DataObject..

I think you're misunderstanding something.. ?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

25 February 2009 at 3:53pm

but I don't know how to create a unique url for each record of a databobject

The forum module does something like this, You need to have 'Holder' page though. Eg a forum thread isnt a page in the site but by using the ID of the thread in the url and a function 'show' or something you can show your dataobject.

So if its not a page object you can do something like this in your controller class (mysite/code/page.php). It could be called anything

function view() {
if($id = Director::urlParam('ID')) { // check to see we have been passed an ID
return DataObject::get_by_id("SomeDataObject", $id);
}
}

In the template you could do $view.Title or $view.Date to access the information in the DataObject.

Then you would have the url like yoursite.com/home/view/12 to view the 12th dataobject. Thats just a basic example which is easily expanded (eg if that object doesn't exist)

theAlien

Community Member, 131 Posts

15 July 2009 at 7:50am

Hi, this is exactly what I was looking for, however I can't get it working.
First I did what willr wrote in his post and added this to PersonsPage.php:

class PersonsPage_Controller extends Page_Controller {
   function view(){
      if($id = Director::urlParam('ID')){
      return DataObject::get_by_id("PersonsObject", $id);
      }
   }
}

That returned a "Page not found" and no signs of my PersonsPage.ss-template.

So I did some research in the forum-module, and added the following lines to PersonsObject.php:

function Link() {
   return "show/" . $this->ID;
}

Right now I can call $Link in PersonsPage.ss instead of fx a hardcoded localhost/myss/show/1
That's nice, but I still get no signs of my PersonsPage.ss-template (and still the same "Page not found"-message.

Does someone have any suggestions?

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4094 Posts

15 July 2009 at 8:02am

You need a url segment first so SS knows which controller to use.

www.mysite.com/the-persons-page-you-want-to-view/view/123

theAlien

Community Member, 131 Posts

16 July 2009 at 12:53am

Edited: 16/07/2009 1:02am

yeah, that makes sense.

But now I stumble upon two other learning-opportunities (problems don't exist, do they?):

1: how do I retrieve the URLSegment dynamically?

adding $this->PersonsPages()->URLSegment or $this->URLSegment to the function Link() rendered http://www.mysite.com/view/123.

In the forummodule the following string is used: $this->Forum()->Link(), however that gives an error: Uncaught Exception: Object->__call(): the method 'link' does not exist on 'ComponentSet'. Because the error didn't occur on the forummodule, I searched in the module for another place where a method Link() is defined, but couldn't find it.

2: hardcoding the urlsegment (http://www.mysite.com/the-persons-page-you-want-to-view/view/123) renders a white screen (nothing on it and no firebug-errors). I checked the templates and there is a PersonsObject.ss template with content in the mysite/template/Layout-folder so that shouldn't be the cause (I also tried moving it to mysite/template or renaming it to PersonsPage-view.ss (as is done in the forum-module) but that didn't work either)

BTW, I found some errors in my original code, so I'll post a better version here:

class PersonsPage_Controller extends Page_Controller {
      function view($id = null) {
      if($id == null)
         $id = $this->urlParams['ID'];
      if($id && is_numeric($id))
         return DataObject::get_by_id("PersonsObject", $id);

}

Go to Top