Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Data Model Questions /

Show a Read More Link Based on the Number of Words

3 Posts   1475 Views

Andrew Houle

Community Member, 132 Posts

7 April 2009 at 12:49am

I have the following basic setup: A Staff Page (page type) that display Staff (dataobject). I have the Staff Page displaying the Staff dataobjects the way I'd like. They have all the necessary info and a Bio. I limit the bio to 50 words and have a read more link to show the full bio if someone clicks on it. However I would only like to show the 'Read More' link only if the Bio word count is above 50. I'm assuming I could write a function in the Staff Page controller for that. That would return a boolean for the word count above or below 50, but I'm having trouble writing that. Can anyone point me in the right direction, or know the code I would need?

Thanks in advance!

snaip

Community Member, 180 Posts

11 May 2009 at 11:44pm

any idea ?

Andrew Houle

Community Member, 132 Posts

20 June 2009 at 2:56am

For the sake of completion here is the code I ended up using for this. I'm not sure it's optimal, but it did the trick:

function WordCount($str){
       $words = 0;
       $str = eregi_replace(" +", " ", $str);
       $array = explode(" ", $str);
       for($i=0;$i < count($array);$i++)
       {
          if (eregi("[0-9A-Za-zÀ-ÖØ-öø-ÿ]", $array[$i]))
             $words++;
       }
       return $words;
    }

function ReadMore() {
      $Bio = $this->Bio;
      $BioWords = $this->WordCount($Bio);
      if ($BioWords > 50)
         return True;
      else
         return False;
    }

Of course you would replace the Bio stuff with Content or whatever field you were using. Then in the template you can use:

<% if ReadMore %><a href="$Link" >Continue Reading</a><% end_if %>