Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Data Model Questions /

Nested relationships

4 Posts   1148 Views

AdamJ

Community Member, 145 Posts

12 May 2009 at 6:12pm

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a side project for a friend who runs a training program. I'm trying to intergrate his workshops into Silverstripe so he can easily update them, and I can do some funky stuff on the website to display them (planning to intergrate google maps - fingers crossed).

This is the relationships I have.

They have Workshops.
Each Workshop has many Dates.
Each Date has one Location and many Instructors.
(Locations and Instructors belong to many Dates)

How would I achieve this in the CMS? I have gone through tutorial 5, and can understand how to relate Dates to Workshops, and add a tab to add/edit/remove dates, but how do I then select/add/edit/remove a Location and Instructors to each Date?

Thanks in advance

AdamJ

21 May 2009 at 12:27am

Sorry to bump up my own thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom for me on this one.

Cheers

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

22 May 2009 at 1:21pm

The hard thing here is you cannot nest complextablefields. So I you will have trouble managing Instructors as its on 2 branches of a has many.

I think one way you could do it is like:

- Workshop is a page
- Dates is a HasManyComplexTableField on that page
- Inside the Date Popup you have a CheckboxSetField of all the Instructors (which you can then select many) and a dropdown for the location.

Then you would just need to generate a way of adding / editing instructors and locations. The easy way to do this would be to just add a TableListField to the WorkshopPage which allows you to manage them. Its a bit nasty.

Or you could try using ModelAdmin to manage the data - In that case you would have 2 managed models - Instructions, Locations and you would keep the HasManyComplexTableField().

AdamJ

22 May 2009 at 1:31pm

Cheers for the reply willr.

I'm going to setup Instructors as a page, so the adding of Instructors could be handled that way. I may have to move the Location information as part of Dates to simply the workflow.

Thanks again