Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Nested relationships

Go to End

4 Posts   1830 Views

AdamJ

Community Member, 145 Posts

12 May 2009 at 6:12pm

Hey guys,

I'm currently working on a side project for a friend who runs a training program. I'm trying to intergrate his workshops into Silverstripe so he can easily update them, and I can do some funky stuff on the website to display them (planning to intergrate google maps - fingers crossed).

This is the relationships I have.

They have Workshops.
Each Workshop has many Dates.
Each Date has one Location and many Instructors.
(Locations and Instructors belong to many Dates)

How would I achieve this in the CMS? I have gone through tutorial 5, and can understand how to relate Dates to Workshops, and add a tab to add/edit/remove dates, but how do I then select/add/edit/remove a Location and Instructors to each Date?

Thanks in advance

AdamJ

21 May 2009 at 12:27am

Sorry to bump up my own thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom for me on this one.

Cheers

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

22 May 2009 at 1:21pm

The hard thing here is you cannot nest complextablefields. So I you will have trouble managing Instructors as its on 2 branches of a has many.

I think one way you could do it is like:

- Workshop is a page
- Dates is a HasManyComplexTableField on that page
- Inside the Date Popup you have a CheckboxSetField of all the Instructors (which you can then select many) and a dropdown for the location.

Then you would just need to generate a way of adding / editing instructors and locations. The easy way to do this would be to just add a TableListField to the WorkshopPage which allows you to manage them. Its a bit nasty.

Or you could try using ModelAdmin to manage the data - In that case you would have 2 managed models - Instructions, Locations and you would keep the HasManyComplexTableField().

AdamJ

22 May 2009 at 1:31pm

Cheers for the reply willr.

I'm going to setup Instructors as a page, so the adding of Instructors could be handled that way. I may have to move the Location information as part of Dates to simply the workflow.

Thanks again