Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Data Model Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Can SS Set Order of Table Columns?

Go to End

3 Posts   1835 Views

_Vince

Community Member, 165 Posts

9 July 2009 at 10:03am

I've always been told that, when laying out database tables, the columns that are keys should be at the top of the column list in order to speed up processing. In other words, if we have a table of customer addresses, and it's linked to a customer table by some column called "CUSTID", then the "CUSTID" column should be first up and all the address columns should come after.

eg:

CUSTID
ADDR1
ADDR2
SHIPPING ADDR1
SHIPPING ADDR2
BILLING ADDR1
BILLING ADDR1
and so on.

I guess the idea is that, when performing a query, the engine doesn't have to wade through a lot of data to find the keys required for the query.

I've been wondering if it's possible to implement this in SS. I've tried putting the $db array AFTER the $has_one array in the DataObject definition but I still wind up with the contents of the $has_one array after the $db. Short of hacking the core code, is there any way of setting the order of table columns?

Just wonderin', is all... :)

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

9 July 2009 at 10:33am

To be honest, I never heard of such a thing. I think that current RDBMS would optimize such things automatically. Mostly, you can gain DB Performance by carefully choosing the key indexing methods/algorithms.
In the case of SilverStripe where you're dealing with rather small data-sets, DB optimization will most likely not result in a noticeable performance gain.
Reducing the amount of requests per page and efficient caching are probably things I'd look into when I wanted to optimize a site. But then again: One should avoid premature optimization...

_Vince

Community Member, 165 Posts

9 July 2009 at 4:48pm

Reading your answer, I had a bit of a google around to see WHY I had this idea and I really can't find anything on the topic, OTOH, example tables are usually depicted with the keys up the top.

Maybe it's something that used to make sense but not now, or maybe I'm not good with google! :D

Anyway, yeah... SS datasets aren't humongous so that's why the question's a bit of an idle curiosity on my part.