Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Data Model Questions /

TreeDropdownField and $keyField

3 Posts   1255 Views

ukjola

Community Member, 3 Posts

14 August 2009 at 12:34pm

Hello.
From the TreeDropdownField [url=http://api.silverstripe.com/forms/fields-relational/TreeDropdownField.html]API[/URL], it's my understanding that the $keyField is the column in the $sourceObject where the data that will be stored will come from. If I do the following:

class HomePage extends Page
{
function getCMSFields()
{
$fields = parent::getCMSFields();
$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Buttons', new TreeDropdownField('LinkID', 'Choose a page to Link to:', 'SiteTree', 'URLSegment'));
return $fields;
}
}

I would expect that in my table (HomePage), the "LinkID" column will be a varchar that stores the URLSegment. However, when I do a dev/build, the follwoing is created:
Field HomePage.LinkID: created as int(11) not null default '0'

It appears that the build ignores the $keyValue and sticks with the default of "ID". While the form functionality is as expected, when I save, I only get the default 0 in the row (as I would expect based on how the table was created).

I feel like I may be missing a something, I've tried something like this:

class HomePage extends Page
{
static $db = array(
'LinkID' => 'Text'
);

but that just gets ignored.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers.

ukjola

14 August 2009 at 1:07pm

Edited: 14/08/2009 1:09pm

After reading through the TreeDropdownField.php code, I did a small experiment and dropped the HomePage(_Live, _versions) tables after the build and recreated them with the URLSegment data type:

CREATE TABLE `HomePage` (
`ID` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
`LinkID` varchar(255) character set utf8 default NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`ID`),
KEY `LinkID` (`LinkID`),
) ENGINE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=2 DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

That did the trick and everything worked as expected... of course if I rebuild the db (/dev/build), it flips it back:

Field HomePage.LinkID: changed to int(11) not null default '0' (from varchar(255) character set utf8 collate utf8_general_ci)

And it's broken again. So it looks like TreeDropdownField is doing what its supposed to per the API, but the build is not creating the table right.

Is this a bug in the build? or am I missing something that will tell the build to create column with the URLSegment datatype?

ukjola

16 August 2009 at 3:43am

In case anyone is trying to do the same thing... I figured it out by starting from scratch:

static $db = array(
'LeftURL' => 'VARCHAR(255)',
);
static $has_one = array(
);
function getCMSFields()
{
$fields = parent::getCMSFields();
$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Buttons', new TreeDropdownField('LeftURL', 'Choose a Left Image Link:', 'SiteTree', 'URLSegment'));
return $fields;
}