Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

DataObjectManager Module /

Discuss the DataObjectManager module, and the related ImageGallery module.

Moderators: martimiz, UncleCheese, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

modules play well together? / "javascript parse error"

4 Posts   1684 Views

SDH

Community Member, 10 Posts

20 July 2010 at 1:12am

I'm a new user of Silverstripe working on a non-time-critical nonprofit website - they have an existing website they're frustrated with and want to migrate in the next few months, hopefully getting a well-organized, capable CMS in the process. SS looks promising. I'm trying to decide between SS and waiting for Drupal 7; at the moment it seems the resolution may be neither of these.

If the answer to my questions is to RTFM, please just point to the FM and I'll gladly read it.

I've been attempting to assemble a SS installation with all the modules I think I'll need. I keep getting "javascript parse error" when I save. (It seems I get this when I attempt to save anything; most of the time the save appears to work correctly.) When I initially tried this module-by-module I started getting the js parse error at some point, so this was an attempt to perhaps avoid the problem.

* SS 2.4.0; CMS workflow, Blog, as downloaded from their SS download pages
* DOM, SWFupload, Image Gallery, svn trunk from carlino
* Event Calendar, svn trunk from bluehouse.

Even before I enter any content of my own, I get the js parser error on any save. Are these modules supposed to play well together? Anyplace to peek to find where the js error originates? Other versions of the modules I should use instead?

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4096 Posts

20 July 2010 at 2:26am

"Javascript parse error" is a very misleading message. It means you've got a server side error, but because the script is expecting certain content in the response, the error message coming from Apache just breaks the script. The best way to figure out what's going on is to read the output of the response using your Firebug console.

Make sure your site is in dev mode, and you have error reporting turned on in your PHP configuration, otherwise, the response may be empty. But if you're getting the parse error, chances are the the content has length.

SDH

20 July 2010 at 4:25pm

Edited: 20/07/2010 4:26pm

Thanks, Tio Queso. I'm an old programmer, but new to php and js, trying to ramp up. I got Firebug, turned on dev mode and enabled php error reporting.

The basic problem is in CMS Workflow. When I hit 'save' I'm getting "CMSWorkflow is not defined", from the line

CMSWorkflow.setOption('noPromptForAdmin', false)\n

through Form_EditForm eventually complaining about sapphire/thirdparty/prototype/prototype.js

The console is full of red. All quite strange, but not a DOM problem it appears. Any further suggestions? I'm not quite sure what to do with this, or where to take it.

SDH

21 July 2010 at 12:11pm

I nuked the CMS Workflow module and the js parse error went away. So CMS Workflow is indeed not playing well with others.