Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

DataObjectManager Module /

Discuss the DataObjectManager module, and the related ImageGallery module.

Moderators: martimiz, UncleCheese, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

updating/switching modules

Go to End

2 Posts   938 Views

Scorpiankh

Community Member, 63 Posts

3 November 2010 at 12:04pm

Just a quick question ... When updating modules to a new version or revision ... or switching to another module .... what's the best way to do it? Is it ok to just upload the new module over the old one? Or delete the old module folder from the website and then upload the new one? Or do you need to delete the modules tables from the database?

I'm looking at switching to uploadify from swfupload, and updating DOM to the latest revision at the same time, normally I'd just delete the old module from the website and then upload the new one, but the deadline for this website is looming closer and I'm trying to avoid running into problems before they occur.

Howard

Community Member, 215 Posts

3 November 2010 at 3:16pm

It is a good idea to confirm that the latest modules all work with your current SS installation. From there you should backup any files you are about to replace (ie download the current module off your site to your local machine) and also backup the database by exporting it and downloading it. This means that if for some reason it all goes to crap during the upgrade then you can just upload the same files, import your database from the backup and you will be up and running again the you were before.

When you upgrade a module it doesn't matter if you just overwrite the folder or delete and then upload the new one. Unless you're confident I would replace one module at a time then run dev/build incase any database changes are included in the upgrade. Then confirm that the site is still working - once you've checked then upload the next module and do the same process again.

Of course you could just not back up anything, replace all the modules at the same time, run dev/build and cross your fingers but I don't think many would advise that...

In your case uploadify can co-exist with swfupload so it doesn't need to be replaced but you may as well delete it.

Hope this helps :)