Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

DataObjectManager Module /

Discuss the DataObjectManager module, and the related ImageGallery module.

Moderators: martimiz, UncleCheese, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Access to $many_many Object(s) from Within $belongs_many_many Object(s)

4 Posts   753 Views

Garrett

Community Member, 245 Posts

11 April 2012 at 4:12am

Hi,

I have a group of pages -A- which has a $has_many relation to a set of DataObjects -B-.

I am in a nested loop showing all of the -B- objects which are associated with each -A-.

Now, -B- also has a $belongs_many_many relation to another page type -C- (which in turn has a $many_many relation to -B-).

Do I have access to the set of -C- objects associated with each -B- in the loop in any way? Would make sense that I would, I just can't figure out how I would refer to that in the template. I am trying to avoid writing a custom query and I can't pass an ID back to the PHP from the template.

-A-:
class Service extends Page {

static $has_many = array(
      "SubServices" => "SubService"
   );

-B-:
class SubService extends DataObject {

static $has_one = array(
      "Service" => "Service"      
   );

static $belongs_many_many = array(
      "CaseStudy" => "CaseStudy"
   );

-C-:
class CaseStudy extends Page {

static $many_many = array(
   );

Guidance would be appreciated. I've never had this exact kind of data relation before.

Thanks,
Garrett

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

11 April 2012 at 7:01pm

On a service 'A'

<% control SubServices %>
In a 'B'
<% control CaseStudy %>
In a 'C'
<% end_control %>
<% end_control %>

Or to you want to bypass the second control? In that case you'd need a custom query.

Garrett

Community Member, 245 Posts

12 April 2012 at 1:28am

@Willr...... Once again...... you are my knight in shining armor!

This works brilliantly. I am now seeing all the Case Studies which are associated with a Service THROUGH a Subservice. Couldn't be happier.

What's funny is that this very approach was my instinct but there is something unintuitive about a control loop around a non-plural term, you know? I.e.: "CaseStudy" vs. "CaseStudies" as you would do in the outer loop. But I knew CaseStudies wouldn't work because there's no reference to that anywhere. Thank you so much, my good man. If I ever come to NZ you drink for free.

Now that I have this I will not require the solution to my other post from the same day but will file that snippet in my toolbox. Thanks for that too.

//Garrett

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

12 April 2012 at 6:52pm

What's funny is that this very approach was my instinct but there is something unintuitive about a control loop around a non-plural term, you know? I.e.: "CaseStudy" vs. "CaseStudies"

Well normally you name the relationship with a plural...

-B-:
class SubService extends DataObject {

static $has_one = array(
"Service" => "Service"
);

static $belongs_many_many = array(
"CaseStudies" => "CaseStudy" // <-- note case studies
);

-C-:
class CaseStudy extends Page {

static $many_many = array(