Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

DataObjectManager Module /

Discuss the DataObjectManager module, and the related ImageGallery module.

Moderators: martimiz, UncleCheese, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Preview: DataObjectManager module

Go to End

379 Posts   95930 Views

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

7 May 2009 at 1:41am

Edited: 07/05/2009 1:42am

>I'd like to throw another big Thank You out to Uncle Cheese.

Agreed !

UC has my vote for The Silverstripe community member of the year ! ;)

Carbon Crayon

Community Member, 598 Posts

7 May 2009 at 1:54am

Yep, get's my vote too!

That is actually something that the community could really do with, we should think about having awards like 'member of the month' and 'Silverstripe Website of the month'. I think that would really encourage more participation.

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

7 May 2009 at 1:57am

Edited: 07/05/2009 1:58am

Well.. It should be an easy enough hack to change his little "community member" signature (under the avatar picture) to something funny while we invent some kind of rating system... ;-)

Very offtopic , sorry !

Andrew Houle

Community Member, 140 Posts

7 May 2009 at 1:57am

Yeah, I'm on board for that. UC's modules have made my programming life considerably easier. He's got my vote for Silverstripe member of the month ;)

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

7 May 2009 at 2:57am

Wow, guys. Thank you! What an uplifting way to start my day. I'm anxious to meet Sigurd in NYC next week to speak with him about DOM and other projects. So far the Silverstripe team has been pretty mum on this topic, so I'll be curious to see if he has any feedback.

First, some responses for you.

@martimiz - That is quite a bug. Do you think you could write a patch for it? I've also heard complaints that it rejects MySQL reserved key words such as "order" and "primary." If you can write some sanitization, I'll implement it as soon as I can.

@Shawn - ImageDataObjectManager was originally coded to only accept JPG because as I understood, the GD library could only manipulate JPG. In recent testing, I've noticed that it will accept GIF and PNG, so I'll add those in as accepted datatypes. I will not be adding non-image files to the mix because I really want to adhere to the image-browsing UI. As far as the SimpleHTMLEditorField, it uses an up-and-coming lightweight WYSIWYG tool called jWYSIWYG. It's good in some areas, but leaves a lot to be desired in others. I've written some pretty good docs in the Wiki if you have any questions about it. I have pretty high hopes that the product will mature and become more robust, but if it doesn't, I've considered just making SimpleHTMLEditorField use a bare-bones instance of TinyMCE instead.

New stuff on the way

File Upgrades -- Set FileDataObjectManager to "upgrade" audio and video files. An mp3 file will get upgrade to a custom MP3 class that can render a self-contained Flash player in its forTemplate() method. Likewise, FLV files will get upgraded to an custom FLV class that renders a self-contained FLV video player. Those of you with FFMPEG installed on your Linux servers may enjoy on-the-fly video conversion of just about any raw video format to FLV.

Still in the works, but the good news is it will be well-tested when it his the SVN channel because it's going into production for a client.

Shawn Parr

Community Member, 60 Posts

7 May 2009 at 4:03am

ImageDOM: that sounds perfect. In the case I ran into it was a PNG file. I think having this support only web capable image formats is a good idea. JPG, GIF, PNG is all I can think of right now, but if it supported all three that would be awesome.

I'll dig back into the docs on the html editor. I know I've had a few issues with the normal CMS editor also as far as copy/paste go, with it grabbing and using formatting from Word or other websites that sometimes cause CSS issues or other wackiness. I did run across another issue or two in a meeting I had with one of our departments. The image tool in the simple editor requires you to paste in a link to the image, which is very not sexy compared to everywhere else in the system. For now we are going to add a special image field into the mix for them, and it will probably work better in this instance. However I wanted to put the bug in your ear, so it could fester, in case it causes a brainstorm of a way to make it better for all. :) URL links are similar.

What would be awesome would be a way to bring the editing tools from the main CMS into the popup fields. I noticed that the silverstripe fields for popups don't have editing tools of any kind (or is my install wacky?), so having something is much better. But since there is a fairly rich and functional set of tools already available it would be cool to bring them into the pop-ups.

Oh, and I'm looking forward to the audio/flash upgrades. We just put up a section of a site full of FileDOM pages with audio files. That functionality would certainly spruce things up! I'll try to keep an eye on the SVN....

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

7 May 2009 at 6:55am

@UncleCheese
Putting me to work - serves me right :-) I'll try and have a go at it, will report back later...

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

7 May 2009 at 8:43pm

I don't know if anybody else already made a post like this, seeing the length of this topic :-( but I was wondering - would it be difficult to create a simpler FormField based on the ImageDataObjectManager, that acts as a holder for just one image - like a replacement for the old ImageField? I guess I could use the manager for just one image, but that would be real confusing to clients. I tried using the SWFUploadFileIFrameField, but that seems still to be somewhat buggy, and the existing popup is far more beautiful :-)

A simple group like a button that says add or edit and a thumbnail of the image if one is loaded. I guess it could be done by extending the ImageDataObjectManager and adding a simpler template, but that feels a bit like deflation, like it maybe should be the other way around?

Go to Top