Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

DataObjectManager Module /

Discuss the DataObjectManager module, and the related ImageGallery module.

Moderators: martimiz, UncleCheese, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

DataObjectManager & Has Many File Manager - Limit # of entries?

Go to End

10 Posts   3222 Views

DanStephenson

Community Member, 116 Posts

29 April 2009 at 4:53pm

Edited: 29/04/2009 6:48pm

Hello,

I am building a site that contains many types of data, and I really like the way DataObjectManager handles working with data in the CMS. However, for some of my fields, the user is only able to upload a set number (or less) of a certain type of data.

For example - on a products page, the user may upload 4 or less (or none) videos per product.

How can I setup DataObjectManager to only allow for a fixed number of maximum inputs?

How can I do the same thing for has many file manager?

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4096 Posts

30 April 2009 at 2:16am

Here's an interesting approach..

$perms = array('edit','delete');
if($this->FileObjects()->Count() < 4) $perms[] = 'add';
$manager->setPermissions($perms);

DanStephenson

30 April 2009 at 3:24am

Thanks Uncle Cheese. Where would I go about putting that code?

UncleCheese

30 April 2009 at 3:30am

In your getCMSFields() function.

And, you know all the variable names and property names are examples, right? I can't tell you how many people try to use my example code in production. :)

DanStephenson

30 April 2009 at 3:42am

Yeah, I know that. I just didn't know if it went into the CMSFields() function, or I created a new function inside my datatype.

schellmax

Community Member, 126 Posts

6 May 2009 at 1:00am

the approach posted by UncleCheese (modifying the $perms array) is nice, it has a serious usability downside though:
whenever you delete your latest object, you still can't add another one, as the permissions don't update. they DO update when you add another object though.

so: having 3 objects and 4 are allowed, and you add a 4th, the 'add' button disappears as intended.
but having 4 and deleting 1 won't result in the add button 'reappering' until you refresh the page.

hope this is understandable

UncleCheese

6 May 2009 at 1:56am

Yeah, that makes sense. Although, you wouldn't have to refresh the entire page. You could just refresh the DataObjectManager itself. But I do see the issue. Deleting is the only action that does not refresh the entire DataObjectManager field.

schellmax

Community Member, 126 Posts

6 May 2009 at 3:08am

could you set up dataobjectmanager to refresh after deleting an item / are there reasons not to do so?

i also got an somewhat related issue:
whenever i make some changes to an item in dataobjectmanager, and want to switch to another page, silverstripe brings up a javascript alert ('WARNING your changes have not been saved'), which is quite annoying, as changes have of course gracefully been saved by dataobjectmanager. is there a way to circumvent this?

Go to Top