Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

DataObjectManager Module /

Discuss the DataObjectManager module, and the related ImageGallery module.

Moderators: martimiz, UncleCheese, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

New Feature: Audio and Video

Go to End

150 Posts   38453 Views

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

22 July 2009 at 4:37am

Weird. I wonder why they want 99 bucks for it?

bummzack

Community Member, 904 Posts

22 July 2009 at 7:17am

Yeah well. It's also branded, but you can use it for commercial websites, whereas you would violate the license when using the FW player. You're right about the price-tag though. 95$ seems quite a lot for a video-player. I never used it, so I can't tell it's really worth the money. Another player that might be worth checking out is this one: http://as3flvplayer.sourceforge.net/
It's free and lightweight but probably lacks some of the features other players have to offer...

vstrazz

Community Member, 63 Posts

21 August 2009 at 6:33am

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but who makes the audio player used? I would like to find some more documenation on it. The title shows up funky.

Thanks

ploef

Community Member, 4 Posts

27 August 2009 at 10:54pm

"No, it's not the PHP extension. That isn't full-featured, as it turns out. I'm using the Linux package. You can just yum it down. Super easy install."

Does this mean it won't work on a windows server hosting environment that uses IIS and PHP? That would be a bummer because this module seems to realy rock!

Garrett

Community Member, 245 Posts

20 October 2009 at 10:34am

Hi @UncleCheese, I watched the video tutorials but fell off at a certain point because I can't get any of the players to appear. In your example, what IS "Attachment"? Is that the name of your File field? The video object itself?

I have a class called Event, which extends DataObject. In this Event object, there's a file field called EventVideo (patrt of a DataObjectManager), which is likely to be populated with an FLV. I would, number one, like to get the player to appear in the template, and number two, and more importantly, get a *thumbnail* to appear, which I believe I read in this thread can be automatic?

I tried <% control EventVideo %> with $Player, and tried $EventVideo.Thumbnail, etc. I'm not getting anywhere! What do you think I'm doing wrong?

Thanks as always,
Garrett

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4102 Posts

20 October 2009 at 12:36pm

Edited: 20/10/2009 12:37pm

Seems like you have it set up right. The basic model should be:

EventPage -> has_many('Events' => 'Event')
Event -> has_one('EventPage' => 'EventPage', 'EventVideo' => 'File');

If you have FileDataObjectManager::$upgrade_video set to true (its default value), then any video file type (see FLV::$allowed_file_types) will get upgraded to the FLV class on write. You might want to check if the files you're uploading are getting stored "FLV" in their ClassName field.

You can shortcut the whole thing by setting up a relationship of 'EventVideo' => 'FLV', which saves FileDOM the trouble of sniffing out the upgrade and ensures you'll get an FLV object. It will also grey out any invalid file types in your upload dialog box.

To render the player(s), any of those methods should be fine..

<% control Events %>
<% control EventVideo %>
$Player, $VideoPopup(100x100,800x600), $VideoThumbnail(200,200)
etc..
<% end_control %>
<% end_control %>

If you're not getting any players, check the markup and see what is being rendered where the player should be. Then check for Javascript errors.

Oh, and about the "Attachment" field.. you're right.. it's the name of the file relationship on my DataObjects, but for some reason a lot of users have taken that way too literally and think that it's compulsory. It's not. It's just an arbitrary name.

Garrett

21 October 2009 at 4:09am

Thanks again for your time and attention. Ok well first off I was using DataObjectManager, not FileDataObjectManager, so I changed that right off the bat. But I am still seeing the same exact behavior. And I looked in the File table after the upload and the ClassName is File, not FLV. Don't know why that is. $upgrade_video is indeed set to true. Let me try 'EventVideo' => 'FLV'. Hang on... OK, this is promising. The video file is now of ClassName FLV, and I also see two JPEGS in adjacent DB rows, and a video_thumbnails folder was added here as well.

Here are the results in the template:

$VideoThumbnail(200,200) shows nothing, $VideoPopup(100x100,800x600) generates an error [Fatal error: Call to a member function CroppedImage() on a non-object in C:\wwwroot\wamp\www\terra\dataobject_manager\code\flv\FLV.php on line 271], but $Player() works.

Any ideas on getting these other methods to work?

Thanks again,
Garrett

Garrett

21 October 2009 at 4:37am

One other thing-- on my Production box, the video thumbnails (the JPEGS I was talking about) are Not being created in the File table. Can you think of any reason why this would fail?

Thanks,
Garrett