Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

E-Commerce Modules /

Discuss about the various e-commerce modules available:
Ecommerce, SS Shop, SilverCart and SwipeStripe
Alternatively, have a look the shared mailinglist.

Moderators: martimiz, Nicolaas, Sean, frankmullenger, biapar, Willr, Ingo, Jedateach, swaiba, simon_w

Best way to extend the Product class...

5 Posts   2697 Views

ImacSS

Community Member, 35 Posts

10 December 2009 at 6:50am

First time working with the e-commerce module, and running into a problem regarding the best method to extend the Product class.

I have several product-type objects that I need to model; a "Course", "Seminar", "Subscription", "Publication" and "Archives".

For "Publication", I can just use the base Product class as there are no additional fields needed.

However, for the "Course" and "Seminar" types, there are several additional data items I need to track. Specifically, there is a secondary price based upon whether a user opted discount should be applied, as well as several relationships between the Course/Seminar and various other tables.

Would the best method of representing these classes be to subclass the Product class directly?

I realize that doing this will require modifying some of the cart processing functions in order to take into account these additional fields - just want to make sure I'm going down the right path to begin with.

Any assistance that can be provided would be greatly appreciated!

billythefisherman

Community Member, 1 Post

18 December 2009 at 11:45am

I'm very interested in this as well - how have you got on with extending the product class - is it feasible?

ImacSS

Community Member, 35 Posts

19 December 2009 at 3:59am

Sorry I didn't follow up on this.

All I did was create a subclass of the "Product" class. So in my case, I did this:

class Course extends Product
{
}

...then added the additional fields I needed into the $db array, and overrode the getCMSFields method.

Implementing the additional fields functionally into the ecommerce pipeline required tinkering with the core components.

Maybe there is a better way, but this is what is working for me at the moment.

oliver_phnd

Community Member, 1 Post

16 January 2010 at 1:31am

Edited: 16/01/2010 2:46am

To add new attributes/fields to my products I added all required fields to the Product.php file and created php and ss files for each product type, that only showed the relevant fields.

So to add a product type called MyProduct with a Width attribute:

1. Add Width to ecommerce/code/Product.php:

class Product extends Page {
public static $db = array(
'Price' => 'Currency',
'Weight' => 'Decimal(9,2)',
'Model' => 'Varchar',
'FeaturedProduct' => 'Boolean',
'AllowPurchase' => 'Boolean',
'InternalItemID' => 'Varchar(30)',
"Width" => "Decimal(9,2)",
);
}

2. Create ecommerce/code/MyProduct.php:
<?php
class MyProduct extends Product {

static $add_action = 'MyProduct';

function getCMSFields() {
$fields = parent::getCMSFields();
$fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new TextField("Price", "Price"));
$fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new TextField("ShortDescription", "Description"));
$fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new TextField("ArtNr","Article number"));
$fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new TextField("Weight", "Weight (kg)"));
$fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new TextField("Width","Width"));

// product image field
if(!$fields->dataFieldByName("Image")) {
$fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Images", new ImageField("Image", "Product Image"));
}

// flags for this product which affect it's behaviour on the site
$fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new CheckboxField("FeaturedProduct", "Featured Product"));
$fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Main", new CheckboxField("AllowPurchase", "Allow product to be purchased",1));
return $fields;
}
}

class MyProduct_Controller extends Product_Controller {
}
?>

3. Create ecommerce/templates/Layout/MyProduct.ss as you would any other template

dospuntocero

Community Member, 54 Posts

18 January 2010 at 1:24pm

the best way to add new attributes to any data object in silverstripe is using DataObjectDecorators, no overwriting the classes that come with a module, because if the module its upgraded your code will be losted. Look here: http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=dataobjectdecorator