Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

E-Commerce Modules /

Discuss about the various e-commerce modules available:
Ecommerce, SS Shop, SilverCart and SwipeStripe
Alternatively, have a look the shared mailinglist.

Moderators: martimiz, Nicolaas, Sean, Ed, frankmullenger, biapar, Willr, Ingo, Jedateach, swaiba

Some thoughts on the E-commerce Module after using it for a few sites

Go to End

14 Posts   3892 Views

Quadra

Community Member, 16 Posts

5 January 2010 at 9:31pm

A PHP version of Radiant is a port not an integration, which is very different. And neither of your reasons for my opinion apply, I just happen to think its a bad idea. Trying to closely integrate a third party code base into a structured framework like Sapphire just doesn't make sense. Monsters are bad... they get unruly and always bite the hand that feeds them!

However some well constructed bridges to other eCommerce platforms for more serious stores is a very viable option until the native Silverstripe module matures enough to tackle more ambitious projects. And yes I agree user sync is the usual stumbling block in this area, but its certainly not insurmountable.

I have looked about for active implementations of the eCommerce module and they are either very hard to find, or very thin on the ground - maybe both. Bit of a Chicken and Egg situation here. Until more people use it in anger the problems with it won't be found and corrected. Not talking about bugs here, but operational issues, like poor order management.

Anyway, three options seem likely;

A) Continue to make the native module better
B) Splice in a third party cart
C) Bridge to bigger and better eCommerce platforms, like Magento

In my opinion A and C are the way to go, others may disagree :o)

Cheers

davidm2010

Community Member, 107 Posts

4 February 2010 at 8:51am

From what I have read, the e-commerce module is not very stable. I am building a site now for a band and I am thinking of using the webhosting site's e-commerce and just use redirects. From what I have read, not sure I want to hack through to get the module to work.

If there were just someone to take the current module and improve it and stabilze it, that would go along way.

Dave

HansR

Community Member, 141 Posts

26 February 2010 at 5:35pm

Edited: 26/02/2010 5:36pm

What about porting just the model and logic of an existing open-source e-commerce system to Silverstripe? We don't need its CMS, and working with an alien template system would be rather annoying. Sure, it would still take a lot of time and effort, but so is having to design and build a new system from scratch. Plus, we'd end up with something that's based on a tried and tested model.

I've had a quick look at the code of a few open-source e-commerce systems, and PrestaShop's code looks like it would be the easiest to deal with. It also uses some kind of object model.

Other than that, I agree that turning products into data objects would make it easier to maintain.

Hans

HansR

26 February 2010 at 5:54pm

On second thoughts, converting the Product class from a page to a data object would be much easier than porting a third-party system's core.

Hans

ccburns

Community Member, 79 Posts

26 February 2010 at 6:00pm

I 100% agree with your comment. Porting in another projects E-commerce system would be hell!!!

After playing around with the dataobject_manager and seeing UncleCheese's Image Gallery module I believe the ModelAdmin would be the way to go. At the moment I'm too busy with a couple of big jobs (not to mention travelling through South East Asia with my kids and wife).

As a joke (unless people want to take me serious). It would be great to get someone in the community who is good enough to build a quality e-commerce system and all chip in some money to get them to build it. I would be more than willing to put in $500 to get the pot rolling.

If there is anyone in the community who wants to build the e-commerce module then get in touch with me and let me know how much you think you would need to build this and perhaps we can get something rolling...

Cheers,
Colin

HansR

5 March 2010 at 1:07pm

As a joke (unless people want to take me serious). It would be great to get someone in the community who is good enough to build a quality e-commerce system and all chip in some money to get them to build it. I would be more than willing to put in $500 to get the pot rolling.

If there is anyone in the community who wants to build the e-commerce module then get in touch with me and let me know how much you think you would need to build this and perhaps we can get something rolling...

If you do find someone who is able and willing to take on the job, let us know here. I'm not in a position to take on the work myself, but I'd be prepared to chip in a little cash (can't afford much at the moment) to get the e-commerce module updated.

Hans

Go to Top