Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

E-Commerce Modules /

Discuss about the various e-commerce modules available:
Ecommerce, SS Shop, SilverCart and SwipeStripe
Alternatively, have a look the shared mailinglist.

Moderators: martimiz, Nicolaas, Sean, Ed, frankmullenger, biapar, Willr, Ingo, Jedateach, swaiba

E-commerce Recommendation

Go to End

3 Posts   2279 Views

pingu

Community Member, 75 Posts

23 February 2010 at 10:17pm

Hi all,

I need to convert what used to be a standard catalogue website to allow for online shopping and e-commerce facilities. The site is currently running on Silverstripe 2.3.1, and contains around 1600 products.

Is ECommerce a reliable solution to use for this, or am I better of writing my own custom solution using Sapphire? According to the SS modules page, the e-commerce module is no longer supported, which makes me feel a little bit uneasy. I was just wondering how many people have successfully installed and customized it and would recommend it, or vice versa.

Thanks!

QDK

Community Member, 3 Posts

25 February 2010 at 1:24am

Not sure whether it helps you or not, but we use a different solution entirely for e-commerce - Magento. Not sure if I am allowed to post links.

We are currently evaluating SilverStripe and we like what we see and were hoping to make use of the e-commerce functionality, but we envisaged it only being used for lightweight stores. Not pleased to hear that development has stopped on this module, though. It may be worth taking a look at it and picking it up for ourselves to continue with...

We will probably stick with Magento for heavy duty e-commerce activities for now

HansR

Community Member, 141 Posts

26 February 2010 at 10:55am

Edited: 26/02/2010 11:12am

The last that I heard was that development of the ecommerce module hadn't stopped. Instead it was removed from the supported list because the current release is incompatible with the latest release of Silverstripe, and thus hardly constitutes as "supported." That was a while ago.

My suggestion would be to try version 0.6 beta 1 (i.e., not the release given on the module page) and/or the SVN trunk version. You will need the payments module as well. Also have a look at the ecommerce extension modules. Even if the current version is not quite up to your needs, you may well be better with using it as a starting point than writing one from scratch.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't used the ecommerce module for an actual shop yet, but I am looking into using it at some point.

Hans

EDIT: If you're considering writing one from scratch, you could also consider contracting Silverstripe to tailor the module to your needs. They built Silverstripe so their experience would come in handy.