Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

E-Commerce Modules /

Discuss about the various e-commerce modules available:
Ecommerce, SS Shop, SilverCart and SwipeStripe
Alternatively, have a look the shared mailinglist.

Moderators: martimiz, Nicolaas, Sean, Ed, frankmullenger, biapar, Willr, Ingo, Jedateach, swaiba

E-commerce Alternative

Go to End

43 Posts   12961 Views

inCharge

Community Member, 102 Posts

19 January 2011 at 1:33am

There will always be a niche for dedicated ecommerce software like Magento, but from what I see, more and more people are building their ecommerce sites with ecommerce plugins for Drupal, Joomla, WordPress etc. Not so much SilverStripe but that could be about to change...

(stand by for rallying cry...)

The ecommerce module is of strategic importance for SilverStripe. A great ecommerce plugin will make all of our SilverStripe skills more valuable, and more likely that our clients have heard of it before we propose it. So lets give Jeremy and Nicolaas all the support they need.

e.g. do you have some code for a payment gateway that's not already supported? Do you have some neat code that could be made into a tutorial or recipe? Once you get your head around a class despite minimal documentation, put it right by adding comments to the code in such a way that it ends up here...
http://api.silverstripe.org/modules/ecommerce/trunk/
..by the magic of phpDocumentor.

Trenatos

Community Member, 15 Posts

19 January 2011 at 5:27am

I agree, having a solid eCommerce module would be helpful.

Me, I would probably try to convince my clients to stick with SilverStripe if the eCommerce module was good enough, but it would have have functions for VAT, Different tax-brackets for different products, in-state added tax at checkout, paygates to DPS, Google, PayPal, Discounts, easy to use Sales solution (As in setting up a sale in a few different ways, by product group, by product type, individually, etc.)
Multiple shipping calculators or even API hooks for USPS, UPS, Fedex if possible for accurate information, and so on.

No, I don't know which of these are already available, I'm just thinking out loud here.

Also, yeah update the Modules page on SS.org with information about the updates to the module would be nice. Me, I saw "Unsupported" and took off, others are bound to do the same. Maybe clarify that somewhere on the page there? That unsupported doesn't mean deprecated, bad, or unstable.

Terry Apodaca

Community Member, 112 Posts

19 January 2011 at 5:49am

@Trenatos those are all good ideas, and maybe Jeremy can put some of these that are not already in the module or not already on the 'official' silverstripe e-commerce wishlist.

Another good idea is to create our own. The Sapphire Framework is so awesome and robust that it makes it very simple to add your own functionality. They've also included in SS 2.4 a better ability to add functionality through the use of Decorators, etc.

Chris_Bryer

Community Member, 35 Posts

2 February 2011 at 6:35pm

Ive found that Foxycart integrates nicely into silverstripe. I've been watching the development on the e-commerce module and it looks pretty elegant. the reason i opted for foxycart is that it is a stable, well tested, PCI compliant solution, but i think you can use pieces of the e-commerce module, like the products pages. foxycart gives you snippets to add to your templates that interface with foxycarts cart & checkout, so you can control / create /modify products in silverstripe.

Jedateach, do you know if anyone has considered extending (or rather downsizing) your ecommerce solution for foxycart? your solution requires the payment module which isnt necessary for foxycart. Your architecture is great, and i like the thought put into product variations, etc. itd be nice to extend your work.

cheers,
Chris

Jedateach

Forum Moderator, 238 Posts

3 February 2011 at 9:11am

Edited: 03/02/2011 10:36am

Hello Chris, thanks for your feedback on the eCommerce module. We certainly want to see it improve to a point where people are confident in it's stability & security.

In this thread 'dalesaurus' mentions foxycart, which is the only place I've heard of it before:
http://groups.google.com/group/silverstripe-dev/browse_thread/thread/109b1df6848fd740/ee7dd77b6fa31dc2?lnk=gst&q=Payment#ee7dd77b6fa31dc2

hope this helps,
Jeremy

Chris_Bryer

Community Member, 35 Posts

7 February 2011 at 10:01am

Thanks Jeremy,
I've seen that ModX, expressionengine, and a few other cms's have foxycart modules as well. the code plugs in easily into a product page template, where you just create a form and pass a price and name to foxycart's cart and checkout pages. cart and checkout page templates are cached on foxycarts domain, so when you checkout you go to mysite.foxycart.com (or you can point one of your domains at them but its another annual charge), but you can control the look and feel of pretty much everything.

Foxycart also handles subscription services and downloadable products, as well as discount tiers, etc. downloadable products need to be managed through their cms, so some things you need to manage through a seperate cms.

i've been leveraging some of your code to make this work (specifically product variations), and some time after we launch this site it'd be nice to see how we can integrate foxycart into the existing e-commerce you've been working on. i'll share code sometime soon.

I couldnt find your documentation for the current e-commerce and wrote a bit of my own code that may be similar to what you have.. for example i have product variations, which have categories (shippable, downloadable, discounted, etc).. i wasnt sure what the ProductAttributeType and Value classes were for, and it may be similar.

also, Is there a big map of all the e-commerce modules and how they relate? (e-commerce, ecommerceanypriceproduct, ecommerce extensions, etc.. there are alot of modules and i couldnt see any good overview for everything).

thanks again for your dedication to the e-commerce module. I'm using about a tenth of the code, but i appreciate how much work has gone into it.

-Chris

stallain

Community Member, 68 Posts

18 February 2011 at 2:30am

Edited: 18/02/2011 2:33am

I added a small online store in one of my clients' website (http://www.couteaux-morta.com/magasin/) : actually, the shop itself is a widget called "Ecwid" : http://www.ecwid.com/. It's free, it works very well so far, it has many options (e-mail notifications, stock control...), and is easy to install.
The main drawback : of course, you've got two admin panels, one for your silverstripe pages, and one for the store.
Has anybody else tried Ecwid ?

Terry Apodaca

Community Member, 112 Posts

18 February 2011 at 4:09am

@stallain tell me more about ECWID...I have seen it before but have usually stayed away from hosted carts, etc...for customization purposes. I'd like to know if they have Wishlists, and some other plugins/modules to enhance it?