Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

E-Commerce Modules /

Discuss about the various e-commerce modules available:
Ecommerce, SS Shop, SilverCart and SwipeStripe
Alternatively, have a look the shared mailinglist.

Moderators: martimiz, Nicolaas, Sean, frankmullenger, biapar, Willr, Ingo, Jedateach, swaiba, simon_w

ecommerce vs. SilverCart

3 Posts   1138 Views

gour

Community Member, 22 Posts

29 June 2011 at 10:16pm

Hello!

Yesterday I installed SilverCart and I can see it is very comprehensive module capable to handle 1000s of products.

Otoh, our shop-needs are quite modest (10s of 'products' or services only) and, although I plan to install ecommerce, I wonder how does ecommerce compare in comparison with SilverCart?

Considering we'd need to write custom payment module for our web-shop, we're interested how the two compare in ease of writing custom module?

What are the plans for ecommerce & SS-3.0 ?

Sincerely,
Gour

Jedateach

Forum Moderator, 227 Posts

1 July 2011 at 10:47am

Edited: 01/07/2011 10:49am

Hi gour,

eCommerce makes use of the separate Payment module. The payment module works reasonably well, but we have plans/ideas to improve it further. The basic idea of a separate Paymemt module is that when a payment type gets written, it could be used for any other system/module.
Note that I'm not a core maintainer of the Payment module (at least not yet).

I've created a template to follow for new payment types, which you can find here:
[url]http://code.google.com/p/silverstripe-ecommerce/downloads/list[/url]
You could also look at the other payment types found there to copy what they have done. Also see:
[url]http://code.google.com/p/silverstripe-ecommerce/source/browse/#svn%2Fmodules[/url]

What payment type will you be creating?

SS 3 eCommerce is definitely on the radar, but no work done or planned at this stage.

regards,
Jeremy

gour

Community Member, 22 Posts

1 July 2011 at 5:08pm

What payment type will you be creating?

It's a form-based API, similar to e.g. PayPal, or PayWay.

SS 3 eCommerce is definitely on the radar, but no work done or planned at this stage.

Thank you.