Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

E-Commerce Modules /

Discuss about the various e-commerce modules available:
Ecommerce, SS Shop, SilverCart and SwipeStripe
Alternatively, have a look the shared mailinglist.

Moderators: martimiz, Nicolaas, Sean, Ed, frankmullenger, biapar, Willr, Ingo, Jedateach, swaiba

ecommerce vs. SilverCart

Go to End

3 Posts   2060 Views

gour

Community Member, 22 Posts

29 June 2011 at 10:16pm

Hello!

Yesterday I installed SilverCart and I can see it is very comprehensive module capable to handle 1000s of products.

Otoh, our shop-needs are quite modest (10s of 'products' or services only) and, although I plan to install ecommerce, I wonder how does ecommerce compare in comparison with SilverCart?

Considering we'd need to write custom payment module for our web-shop, we're interested how the two compare in ease of writing custom module?

What are the plans for ecommerce & SS-3.0 ?

Sincerely,
Gour

Jedateach

Forum Moderator, 238 Posts

1 July 2011 at 10:47am

Edited: 01/07/2011 10:49am

Hi gour,

eCommerce makes use of the separate Payment module. The payment module works reasonably well, but we have plans/ideas to improve it further. The basic idea of a separate Paymemt module is that when a payment type gets written, it could be used for any other system/module.
Note that I'm not a core maintainer of the Payment module (at least not yet).

I've created a template to follow for new payment types, which you can find here:
http://code.google.com/p/silverstripe-ecommerce/downloads/list
You could also look at the other payment types found there to copy what they have done. Also see:
http://code.google.com/p/silverstripe-ecommerce/source/browse/#svn%2Fmodules

What payment type will you be creating?

SS 3 eCommerce is definitely on the radar, but no work done or planned at this stage.

regards,
Jeremy

gour

Community Member, 22 Posts

1 July 2011 at 5:08pm

What payment type will you be creating?

It's a form-based API, similar to e.g. PayPal, or PayWay.

SS 3 eCommerce is definitely on the radar, but no work done or planned at this stage.

Thank you.