Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

E-Commerce Modules /

Discuss about the various e-commerce modules available:
Ecommerce, SS Shop, SilverCart and SwipeStripe
Alternatively, have a look the shared mailinglist.

Moderators: martimiz, Nicolaas, Sean, Ed, frankmullenger, biapar, Willr, Ingo, Jedateach, swaiba

Should I use the ecommerce or silvercart mod for this? Or something completely different?

Go to End

8 Posts   1959 Views

sparkdigital

Community Member, 3 Posts

10 August 2011 at 2:37am

Edited: 10/08/2011 2:39am

Hi,

We're exploring the possibilities of changing our current site www.romanticretreats.co.uk (which runs on websitebaker) to be silverstripe driven. The main reason for this would be to introduce some new functionalities.

Where would you suggest we start with this? I was thinking of the ecommerce mod to add all hotels and cottages as products and have the location (north england > yorkshire) as categories and sub categories. I like how I could also create other categories and add them to this as an additional category (for instance 'dog friendly). And then strip out any of the stuff I don't need (price / cart etc).

Or is there a better way of doing this? And what is the difference between the ecommerce mod and the silvercart one? Which would suit this better?

One of the functionalities we are looking to add is a good sorting option and a filter. We've checked out some other sites and like what is being done on the www.fihotels.com - an easy way to filter the results, for instance on http://www.fihotels.com/hotels/catalogue/

Has anyone already done something similar for one of the carts?

Any other suggestions of how we could tackle this one would be much appreciated!

Thanks for your help,

Konrad

biapar

Forum Moderator, 435 Posts

10 August 2011 at 7:01pm

Do you need a cart for order or only for catalogue?

sparkdigital

11 August 2011 at 12:27am

Hi Biapar,

Just for a catalogue. But we do need some of the functionality that the ecommerce offers, such as beeing able to add a property to more than one category, showing related properties and having a good search and filter functionality.

Would any other mod offer this too?

Thanks,

Konrad

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

11 August 2011 at 1:29am

baba-papa

Community Member, 279 Posts

11 August 2011 at 8:41am

Hi Barry,

thanks for mentioning us ;)

Greetings,

Roland

sparkdigital

11 August 2011 at 8:46am

Yes, we're definitely looking into using SilverCart - this could prove to be the best solution for us. I've already asked a few questions on their own forum...!

Thanks,

Konrad

Yataka

Community Member, 6 Posts

10 October 2011 at 2:26pm

ecommerce model would be better

swaiba

Forum Moderator, 1899 Posts

10 October 2011 at 10:41pm

Hi Yataka,

I admit my response to the question was brief, but I have a full posting history and have met the silvercart guys and evaluated both systems. I looked through your previous posts and simple saw noise (i.e. "me too", "thanks for your post", etc) that didn't seem to match the threads.

Do you have any explanation for your choice or is this more noise?

Barry