Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

E-Commerce Modules /

Discuss about the various e-commerce modules available:
Ecommerce, SS Shop, SilverCart and SwipeStripe
Alternatively, have a look the shared mailinglist.

Moderators: martimiz, Nicolaas, Sean, frankmullenger, biapar, Willr, Ingo, Jedateach, swaiba, simon_w

Does the E-commerce module support virtual products/downloads?

3 Posts   1864 Views

johnniewalker

Community Member, 2 Posts

2 January 2009 at 1:06am

Hi everyone, just discovered SS after trying out lots of alternatives.

I've installed SS on a test server, all went well except for a warning message which I forgot to write down so now I can't remember!

Can anyone tell me if the E-commerce module supports virtual products that can be downloaded?, I'm loving the simplicity of SS over Joomla, however the two most important aspects for me are easily integrated e-commerce and a forum, Joomla has these covered but although I really want to move to SS I need it to be able to serve my needs fully.

I appreciate that SS is still relatively new and I'm sure it's going to keep on improving!

UncleCheese

Forum Moderator, 4096 Posts

2 January 2009 at 7:56am

Glad you see the beauty of SS. It definitely is a refreshing level of simplicity and expandability in a world of unnecessarily obtuse CMSes (Joomla makes me nuts).

Unfortunately, the E-commerce module is very immature right now, and Silverstripe is very actively looking for people to improve it to make it more competitive. As far as I know, virtual products are not supported. I've looked into it before.

If you really want to do full-featured E-com, Magento works like a dream, but if you're after something simple, you might have to look elsewhere. :-(

motoservo

Community Member, 24 Posts

13 July 2009 at 12:20pm

I know this is a really old post but while perusing the forum I found the same question posted at a later date. There is a comment there that links to a new module being developed with this functionality.

http://silverstripe.org/installing-silverstripe/show/254742#post254742