Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Form Questions /

How to add javascript actions (like "onkeyup") to FormFields?

5 Posts   3425 Views

Tama

Community Member, 132 Posts

6 September 2010 at 1:35pm

Howdy

I've been working on a form that uses validation from our internal systems. To get it running I statically coded it and now I'd like to build it using the SS Form object.

There's two things I'm still trying to work out how to do:

• A few of the TextFields and NumericFields require a "onkeyup" action which trigger the validation javascript. In HTML this would look like

onkeyup="validateValuationNumber(this.value)"

but I'm not sure what to add to this entry

new TextField('ValuationNumber', 'Valuation Number', '' ),

• I want to be able to place an empty DIV between two of the formfields which I can populate with dynamic information.

I'm guessing that these are both possible but after wading about the documentation and forums I still can't work out how I'm supposed to do it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Tama

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

6 September 2010 at 7:17pm

The form field API doesn't support adding events. I recommend you use jQuery to add event handlers to your form eg http://api.jquery.com/keyup/

Tama

8 September 2010 at 1:52pm

Thanks Will - adding this works well:

<script name="javascript">
$('#Form_PaymentForm_ValuationNumber').keyup(function(validateValuationNumber) {

I also want to place an empty div between two of the formfields I can use for the custom validation. I know I can use a Read Only field to place a span but this will require DHTML after the load to make it invisible. Is there a tidier way?

Cheers
Tama

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

8 September 2010 at 6:23pm

also want to place an empty div between two of the formfields I can use for the custom validation

document.appendElement to add an empty div then via javascript. You could also try using the RightTitle value. I think it puts the right title in a div (which then you add another div inside of).

Tama

13 September 2010 at 11:00am

To append the a new div called "valuationValidation" after the div "ValuationNumber" I used the following code:

jQuery('#ValuationNumber').after($('#valuationValidation').append('<div>'));

I ended up using the "jQuery" prefix instead of "$" as their seemed to be a conflict (with Prototype?)