Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Form Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Passing $GET variable to User Defined Form

Go to End

8 Posts   3696 Views

Optic Blaze

Community Member, 190 Posts

2 August 2013 at 9:50am

Hi there,

I was wondering if it was possible to pass a variable from 1 page to another with a User Defined Form. I have a property site that i am building and when the person visits the property they like and want more details i want them to click on a link that takes them to a user defined form. I would like to pass a variable to the form so that the client does not have to type in the name of the property they are interested in.

In normal php i would have just appended the ?myvar=x to the url and gotten my form to read it with echo $_GET['myvar']

How do i do this in silverstripe...preferably on the User Defined Form Module.

Thanks

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

11 August 2013 at 6:37pm

UserDefinedForms can load data from Session, but not GET parameters. So you have a couple options. What I would recommend you do is you create a new EditableFormField which takes your parameters and puts the data into the form. You then add an instance of that EditableFormField to your Form.

One I prepared quickly - https://gist.github.com/wilr/6203714

Add it, dev/build and you should now be able to attach a hidden field in the CMS with the name of the GET value to use. Haven't added nice icons or anything yet (or even tested it)

Optic Blaze

13 August 2013 at 10:02am

Hi Willr,

Thanks for looking at this.

1) I tried the code you supplied and got the following error:
[User Error] Uncaught Exception: Object->__call(): the method 'requestvar' does not exist on 'EditableHiddenField'

2) If i understand your code correctly (i hope) we are creating a field in the CMS that is instructed to look for a specific pattern in the url of the page. So lets say the parameter i was passing from my property page to the user defined form page was called 'house'.... the url would then look like this: www.example.com?house=99.

The getFormField function then tries to match the url part with the value i entered into the cms called 'house' extracts the rest of the string eg house=99 and puts it into a hidden text field that displays in the front end and gets submitted when the user completes the form which then sends an email.

Is that correct?

Willr

13 August 2013 at 7:03pm

Updated the code to fix that warning.

So the new editable form field we created will add an option 'Editable Hidden Field' to the CMS Field Editor. Add one to your form and under 'Options' enter the value you want in the hidden field (e.g "GET[house]" as the string).

Optic Blaze

13 August 2013 at 7:25pm

Thanx Willr...it works like a charm!!!!

Just a question, i see that when i enter GET[house] into the new TextField created in the CMS that stores the parameter and save it, when the CMS refreshes it disappears. You cant see it in the CMS, but it works correctly on the front end...is it supposed to do that?

Thanks

Willr

13 August 2013 at 8:59pm

Updated the gist with the fix (didn't load the settings into cms)

Optic Blaze

13 August 2013 at 11:52pm

Excellent!! This works really well. Thanks so much.

Personally i think that this should form part of the default UserForm module because it makes it so easy for developers to use UserForm and pass important bits of information to the form the user submits.

Just a few things

1) I quickly made a icon for it...see attached
2) Something i forgot to mention earlier was that when i tested the code initially i got this error:

Fatal error: Access level to EditableHiddenField::$singular_name must be public (as in class EditableFormField) in /usr/www/users/obdemrzzgc/p3prop/userforms/code/model/formfields/EditableHiddenField.php on line 43

I just changed private static $singular_name to static $singular_name AND private static $plural_name to static $plural_name and now it works

Attached Files
Wojt_i

Community Member, 1 Post

13 February 2015 at 12:21pm

Hi
Can You explain more detail or step by step how can I do this. Because I just lerning silverstripe and program in php.
I will be gratefull, thanks in advance
WM