Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Form Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

How to contribute (some sort of tutorial)?

Go to End

11 Posts   4202 Views

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

8 February 2009 at 2:38am

Hi all,
I have been programming for some time now, but I'm new to Silverstripe. And I really love it, so to get going I started working on a proper ContactForm (no userform), creating my own tutorial along the way. I'm not finished and it may be a while yet, but as I'm already writing down all my findings, I was wondering if this could be of use to others in the community and what would be the proper way to go about sharing. My approach might not always be the correct one, and I wouldn't want to go around spreading all kinds of errors, so please advice?

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

9 February 2009 at 5:13am

Welcome to Silverstripe !

Tutorials are always a good idea !

You can create a recipe in the Wiki ... Don't worry about the mistakes, you can always go back and edit your write-up later. ;-)

martimiz

9 February 2009 at 7:07am

Thanks! Could you explain to me how this works? Where do I go? Anything special I should do (besides register)? I would have thought that a recipe is a smallish example of some specific idea/problem. What I am doing now is somewhat extensive, since I'm trying to grasp every single step of it - could make one very long wike-page. Does that still count as a recipe?

Fuzz10

9 February 2009 at 9:20pm

Well, you could post a recipe in the Wiki for reviewing / editing .... Once finished , maybe it can be included in the "official tutorials" ?

martimiz

10 February 2009 at 12:28am

OK, I'll try for that. When I'm ready that is - still some things to tackle:-) )

martimiz

21 February 2009 at 8:18am

Edited: 21/02/2009 8:20am

Hi all,
So I created this tutorial wiki type story about my ContactPage learning project. It's somewhat detailed I'm afraid. There's lots more to do, but you're very welcome to it and I'm interested to hear any comments, corrections and improvements you might have (this wiki has no comments option just yet, so it'd have to be here for now)...

http://wiki.balbus.tk/doku.php?id=silverstripe:contact_page_1

Fuzz10

22 February 2009 at 3:26am

Edited: 22/02/2009 3:27am

Awesome job !

I'm sure this will help a lot of new users ! Make sure to point the core-devs to your tutorial as well, because it seems more extensive than the current tutorial.... ;)

Oh , and why not post it in the silverstripe wiki ?

martimiz

22 February 2009 at 6:59am

I don't know how to 'point the core developers' to anything though :-) How do I go about that?

Go to Top