Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Form Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

TreeDropdownField: unselect selected value

Go to End

21 Posts   10331 Views

martimiz

Forum Moderator, 1391 Posts

8 March 2009 at 4:40am

Edited: 08/03/2009 4:41am

I would like to use the TreeDropdownField as an optional field in a form, so I want to be able to 'unselect' a selected page. Is this possible? Is there some way to add a 'none' kind of option?

andy_steel

Community Member, 31 Posts

12 March 2009 at 8:33am

I would also like to do this. I've had a look at the TreeDropdownField class and can't see any easy way of doing it.

MarijnKampf

Community Member, 176 Posts

25 November 2009 at 4:09am

Edited: 18/06/2010 3:24am

Edit: Use updated code instead.

Came across the same issue. My solution was to extend the TreeDropdownField and adding the optional field there. You can use the OptionalTreeDropdownField where ever you would normally use the TreeDropdownField.

Simply create a file OptionalTreeDropdownField.php in your \mysite\code\ folder with the following code:

<?php
/**
 * TreeDropdown-like field that gives you a tree of items including an empty field, using ajax.
 * Author: Marijn Kampf www.exadium.com
 * Date:   24 Nov 2009
 * Version: 1.0
 */
class OptionalTreeDropdownField extends TreeDropdownField {
	function gettree() {
		echo '<ul class="tree"><li id="" class="l"><a>' . _t('OptionalTreeDropdownField.NONE', "(None)", PR_MEDIUM, 'Non selected value of a dropdown') . '</a>';
		parent::gettree();
		echo '</ul>';
	}
}

?>

Usage example:

$fields->addFieldToTab("Root.Content.Sitemap", new OptionalTreeDropdownField('BasePage', "Base Page", 'SiteTree', 'URLSegment', 'MenuTitle'));

I felt that this would be the best way to achieve this, but there may be a better solution possible.

andy_steel

Community Member, 31 Posts

25 November 2009 at 5:09am

Good work Marijn. :-)

frabraha

Community Member, 49 Posts

10 March 2010 at 3:43am

I have some problems with the OptionalTreeDropdownField.
It doesn't save the value when I try to publish it. It just says Choose when I refresh the page.

With the normal TreeDropDownField you just write 'BasePageID', "Base Page", 'SiteTree' and it all works fine, but that doesn't work here.

MarijnKampf

10 March 2010 at 3:50am

frabraha, if you use TreeDropDownField it works, but once you change your code to OptionalTreeDropDownField it doesn't?

Can you post a sample of your code?

frabraha

Community Member, 49 Posts

10 March 2010 at 3:56am

public static $has_one = array(	
'InternLink' => 'SiteTree',);	

$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Main', new OptionalTreeDropdownField("InternLinkID", "Velg hvor artikkelen skal linkes til", 'SiteTree', 'URLSegment', 'MenuTitle'));

MarijnKampf

10 March 2010 at 4:12am

Are you sure you're not getting an error when you change it to:

$fields->addFieldToTab('Root.Content.Main', new TreeDropdownField("InternLinkID", "Velg hvor artikkelen skal linkes til", 'SiteTree', 'URLSegment', 'MenuTitle'));

Go to Top