Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Form Questions /

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

User Defined Form limits

Go to End

5 Posts   2459 Views

SuperBlues

Community Member, 25 Posts

16 June 2009 at 8:36am

Hi, I am trying to enter 17 questions within a user defiined form but after the 14th question I get a 'javascript parse error' when saving the form. All other forms within the site with fewer quaetions work fine.
Is there a limit to the number of questions within the form?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

16 June 2009 at 5:21pm

No limit. Though I haven't tested to see where the point where mysql gives up though. Is the 17ths a special type of field?

SuperBlues

Community Member, 25 Posts

17 June 2009 at 7:55am

There are 12 text fields and 5 checkboxes with 'Yes' and 'No' answer options. I have tried various combinations and entering the fields in different orders but get the error whichever way I try.

Bruce B

Community Member, 164 Posts

19 September 2009 at 4:56pm

I'm also hitting a limit in building a user-defined form. Mine is at around 14 questions where most are radio fields with 5 options. Is it possible that I'm hitting a MySQL statement limit?

I've copied the database onto my own machine and I can continue to enter questions, so the limit seems to be set on the server. Any ideas as to how I can debug this? I'll finish setting up the form locally, then attempt to reload the whole database back to the production server. (and hope I don't need to edit the form later!)

Bruce B

Community Member, 164 Posts

24 September 2009 at 3:24pm

The problem is a PHP memory limit on the server. Our hosting provider only allows 32Mb and these forms need more. I can edit the form quite happily when its running locally on my laptop (128 Mb PHP memory_limit) right up to its final size which is more than double the size where our hosting provider runs out.

This means copying the whole database to my laptop, editing the page, then uploading again. I think I can get away with just the a subset of the database but its probably safer to move the lot each time.

I wonder if other hosts offer more than 32Mb? My current host (Jumba) have offered such good service in all other regards, I don't really want to switch just to fix this.