Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Forum Module /

Discuss the Forum Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Mass-subscription option

Go to End

8 Posts   3332 Views

MZ

Community Member, 3 Posts

8 December 2009 at 2:10pm

Is there a way to subscribe to all topics, existing and new, at once in any given forum? For example, theoretically speaking, if I were interested in everything anybody has to say about SilverStripe Forum module, I would like to subscribe to "SilverStripe Forums >> Forum Module" forum. If anybody starts a new topic, I would like to receive an email, so if I knew anything about that topic, I would be able to contribute right away and not find out about the new topic next time I go to forums.

Or am I missing this option someplace deep in the admin interface?

-MZ

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

8 December 2009 at 8:27pm

No interface for bulk adding subscriptions in the forum. If you want to subscribe to everything your best bet is to use the range of RSS feeds available - you can subscribe to the whole forum, individual forums or even keywords.

house98

Community Member, 31 Posts

18 December 2009 at 3:14am

MZ,

I have just come in to ask a very similar question which Willr seemed to answer, however where exactly is the 'whole forum' subscription?

MZ

18 December 2009 at 5:01am

house98,

If your root of forums is at your.company.com/forums, then the RSS feed for the whole forum is at your.company.com/forums/rss.

The issue I am running into is the same as WalterW's in this thread. My forums are private and require authentication, both basic for some users and external for others. See Pigeon's suggestion in that thread for how to overcome the authentication obstacle with a random hash. I have not implemented it on my forums, so cannot confirm the success of that solution.

-MZ

MZ

18 December 2009 at 5:02am

Willr,

As a moderator, how do you get notified of all new messages on these forums? RSS or another way?

-MZ

Willr

18 December 2009 at 9:03am

I subscribe to the RSS feed for all threads. Find that much easier then trying to navigate on the site for new threads!.

house98

Community Member, 31 Posts

19 December 2009 at 7:07am

If you're using categories... does the root RSS subscription still work for you? It's not for me. Individual forums RSS works fine, but not at the root...

Willr

19 December 2009 at 10:04am

http://www.silverstripe.org/forums/rss seems to work fine. We're using categories and the latest checkout of the forum module.