Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Forum Module /

Discuss the Forum Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Recent or unanswered questions :)

Go to End

6 Posts   1715 Views

Bambii7

Community Member, 254 Posts

2 September 2010 at 1:00pm

It'd be great to have functionality to view all recent or all unanswered questions :) just an idea. Would allow easier administration for community members

JonoM

Community Member, 130 Posts

15 October 2010 at 7:14pm

I agree - I've posted a number of questions and haven't had much luck overall getting replied, and now that I've started answering questions I can see why that might be the case.

Would be great to see at a glance on the Forums index page how many new, unsolved and unreplied threads exist in a category. Searching / filtering on that basis would be helpful too.

On that topic how do you mark a thread as solved? Seems to me if more threads were marked that way it would be so helpful for people trying to find answers and also for people trying to give help.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

16 October 2010 at 9:06pm

You cannot mark a thread as solved - I asked about this recently http://silverstripe.org/forum-module-forum/show/289280#post289280. Might still be a good feature to have. Until we have some way of marking solved / unsolved then no way to filter on that easily sorry :)

The issue also with solved is it would rely on authors I assume (or admins) to go to the extra effort of making it as solved as if it was publically controllable who knows what would happen.

Making it easier to find unanswered threads could be a good feature but again it would only be so effective as it wouldn't pick up posts with say a problem and a "Me too!" response.

Always happy to here ideas though, will be updating this forum to a development version of the upcoming 1.0 with previewing post and better search support in the next few months.

JonoM

Community Member, 130 Posts

17 October 2010 at 7:17am

Edited: 17/10/2010 7:18am

Hey Will, I read that post and I can see how the 'solved' system certainly wouldn't be appropriate for every forum out there but I think it would be great for this one.

A support add-on module like you mentioned sounds really good.

Maybe the ownus would be on the author to mark a thread as solved and they could be prompted about it somehow... even a reminder in the email that is sent out if they've subscribed to the topic. Or authors tend to post a thank-you message when a question is answered don't they? Perhaps next to the post button there could be a check box "Is this question solved?". Maybe as a fall-back people reading the thread could flag it as solved as well and if enough people do that it comes to the attention of an admin who can make the call... don't know what would work best in a real-world situation.

In any case, even if half the threads that are clearly solved were marked that way I think it would be a big help - that's half the posts for people to wade through who just want to see if they can offer a quick bit of help.

Artyom

Community Member, 22 Posts

5 December 2010 at 3:39pm

I agree. That does seem to be the convention: asking the author to do it. We could just have a reminder when someone posts a new topic. On the IRC channel, for example, if there is a reference to a forum post, the author often gets asked to mark it [SOLVED] ...

Many support forums have that feature and it woudl be really nice to do it here. I have alot of trouble searching this forum in general. Tags would also be nice! : - )

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

6 December 2010 at 8:14pm

Thanks Artyom. Points noted.