Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

Forum Module /

Discuss the Forum Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Reply to topic via email

Go to End

3 Posts   1985 Views

Liquid Edge Creative

Community Member, 56 Posts

21 June 2011 at 4:11pm

Hi team,

Wondering what is required to allow topic subscribers to post to topics via email? They would simply hit reply in their mail client when they receive email notifications and their response would be automatically added to the topic thread.

Do you plan to introduce this functionality to the Forum module or is it in the too-hard basket for some reason?

Thanks.

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

21 June 2011 at 6:11pm

Do you plan to introduce this functionality to the Forum module or is it in the too-hard basket for some reason?

Nothing in the current module roadmap to support it. I haven't tried to implement it before but from what I read, getting the incoming mail to forward to the script can be quite the art with all the various server configurations.

If someone wants to give that functionality a go, would be a great thing to have. I'm happy to help with questions / comments but on the scale of things to fix with the forum module it's pretty low. Maybe take a look at how other forum platforms have implemented it (e.g mail2forum for phpbb).

Liquid Edge Creative

Community Member, 56 Posts

22 June 2011 at 9:11am

Thanks for the quick response.

I agree, from my small amount of research, the main hurdle to implementing this functionality in an open source model seems to be server configuration issues. There are also suggestions it can't really be done in a shared server hosting environment, which most small players like myself use.

Here's a detailed thread for a mod to vBulletin that gives this functionality:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-169247.html

This may give some clues as to how it could be done for Silverstripe. I'm no programmer so it's rather beyond me!