Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Forum Module /

Discuss the Forum Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Notification emails for moderators or admins

Go to End

9 Posts   854 Views

neilcreagh

Community Member, 98 Posts

8 February 2014 at 12:35am

Quick question, does the Forum module for 3.1 have notification emails of new postings for moderators built in? I ask because on [url=https://github.com/silverstripe/silverstripe-forum/pull/3]this pull request[/url] it seems to be mentioned:

"moderator notifications can be enabled via the Forum::$notify_moderators - this automatically sends all activity to the moderators of the given forum using the new template."

But I don't know how to implement this?

I see other people have been working on a separate module for this but just wondering if it's built in to the latest Forum Module?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

8 February 2014 at 10:48am

Yes it is built into the latest module for 3.1. To activate it set

Forum::$notify_moderators = true;

If your _config.php file.

This flag should probably be moved to the CMS as a setting.

neilcreagh

Community Member, 98 Posts

10 February 2014 at 12:46pm

Fantastic, thank you

davepolyester

Community Member, 47 Posts

11 February 2014 at 9:09am

Edited: 11/02/2014 9:10am

This is great news Will!

Would it be particularly difficult to extend this to allow Forum Members to subscribe to email notifications on a forum by forum basis?

The work I've done based on Elgordo's great little module for SS2.4 has given me this functionality at the expense of having moderators at all. [url=http://www.silverstripe.org/forum-module-forum/show/11408?start=0](See this thread)[/url]

Any suggestions or guidelines you could provide would be most helpful!

Cheers.

macka

Community Member, 33 Posts

12 February 2014 at 3:17pm

I too would like to see a subscription per forum basis.. that would be awesome.

davepolyester - did your code work for 3.1??

davepolyester

12 February 2014 at 4:36pm

Haven't tried to implement it on 3.1 yet Macka, but will post my results when I get to it, unless someone else does the job for me ;-)

I want to do it properly for 3.1, as a module rather than a hack.

macka

Community Member, 33 Posts

26 February 2014 at 4:09pm

Hi davepolyester,

Got fed up with this, and decided to have another hack it myself. As i'm no developer realistically, so therefor i probably haven't done this right, but anyhow...... So far i have (with your help too thanks!) managed to get a link to display on the forum/category page so users can subscribe. It will also now email anyone who is subscribed to that forum that a post has been made.
So um - yeah - have a look if you wish. https://github.com/macka601/silverstripe-forum

macka.

davepolyester

26 February 2014 at 4:15pm

Cool man, I look forward to checking it out. Don't worry, you can't be any less of a developer than I am!

Go to Top