Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

Forum Module /

Discuss the Forum Module.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Forum Module/MVC/vBulletin

4 Posts   7921 Views

z3r0

Community Member, 2 Posts

11 September 2009 at 4:36pm

Edited: 11/09/2009 4:38pm

Hi,

I've been looking to at several PHP based bulletin board/message board/forum software and was wondering how the silverstripe forum module compares to vBulletin.

I'm looking for a forum designed using MVC. I've played with vBulletin and found it lacking when it comes to customizing templates since they are stored in a database, and the code is rather messy and its not really intuitive in this regard. Its seems like the code has been massaged/glued together to work. vBulletin does have a vast feature set.

Has anyone used both? Thoughts? Feature wise?

Thanks!

NetSage

Community Member, 3 Posts

16 September 2009 at 10:59am

If it's just a forum vBulleting would be better than SS in my opinion. But, what are you looking to do as a whole? I mean if you want a site revolving around the forum SS may be better if you don't need to many features in the forum it self.

I would also look at MyBB if it's just a forum ;).

z3r0

Community Member, 2 Posts

16 September 2009 at 11:38am

Well I basically need the forums to be customized and embedded in the site. The site user login would be shared/the same for the forum (single sign on). What I don't like about vBulletin is that the template code is actually in the database as well as the css, which makes it tedious to edit/preview and integrate.

I'm thinking it was designed that way so the user could roll back to defaults, but I would prefer a templating engine like PHPTal or Smarty built with an MVC framework (Symfony/Zend) to make it easier to customize. CMS would be a plus.

A quick google search points to the RedBB project (http://www.redbb.org/projects/) which is based on Zend but I don't think its been released yet.

Maybe there is something available for Ruby. I've been considering learning the language, though the lack of semicolon to terminate the line is a turn off. :/

NetSage

Community Member, 3 Posts

16 September 2009 at 1:10pm

Yes, but features wise what are you looking for in just the forum?

If you want of a lot of template control SS would be good. But, if you want to use a template system I would even recommend drupal as you well they have smarty template system if you want it.

However their forum is even more basic than SS's.