Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

First time installation on 1&1 server - friendly url problem

4 Posts   2263 Views

Lucyjamm

Community Member, 6 Posts

28 November 2009 at 2:00am

I have built my site in my local server xampp, and was following the instructions on how to upload to a web server http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=publishing-to-web-server but when Silverstripe tried to install, I got the following error:

Friendly URLs are not working. This is most likely because mod_rewrite isn't configuredcorrectly on your site. Please check the following things in your Apache configuration; you may need to get your web host or server administrator to do this for you:
mod_rewrite is enabled
AllowOverride All is set for your directory

I have been over and over lots of posts relating to this error but nothing seems to work and I'm pulling my ever thinning hair out!

I am trying to install on to a 1and1 uk server.

Please could someone help explain the error really really patronisingly as I just don't understand what to do!!

Thank you in advance!

Lucy

baba-papa

Community Member, 279 Posts

28 November 2009 at 9:09am

SilverStripe needs the modrewrite. Maybe your webspace doesn´t have that. Check with your provider.

Lucyjamm

Community Member, 6 Posts

1 December 2009 at 4:44am

Hi baba papa,

I have contacted 1&1 as you suggested and they have refered me to this link: http://faq.oneandone.co.uk/website_building/website_publishing/htaccess/4.html. But I don't understand it all really and I could do with some further assistance from anyone who thinks they can help.

I have taken a look at some past dicussions on this forum and have tried adding:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /

to my .htaccess file and this has not worked either.

The link above told me to add this:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^([a-z]+)\.html$ /index.php?$1 [R,L]

and this did not work.

I am now completely stuck, I have tried installing, deleting, installing again, I have tried a few times to start a fresh install and I get the same error each time. If the tech help at 1&1 are saying its something I need to do, is there anything else I can try?

Any help would be really really appreciated.

Thank you.

Lucy

baba-papa

Community Member, 279 Posts

1 December 2009 at 9:06pm

Hallo Lucy,

I´m not very good when it comes to server questions. There are many threads concerning webspace providers. Take a look at the installation forum.