Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Login screen doesn't show fields

7 Posts   828 Views

Romeo

Community Member, 67 Posts

1 December 2009 at 1:30am

I have a curious problem which I can't always reproduce but which is a minor nuisance when it does occur, and I was wondering whether anyone has any ideas what the cause might be. When I go to log in to the back end of my SilverStripe site, I get the message saying "Enter your email address and password to access the CMS", but no form fields are showing. If I simply click the browser's refresh button, the fields show up and I can log in. This would suggest some kind of cache problem to me but I don't know how to resolve it. Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks!

baba-papa

Community Member, 279 Posts

1 December 2009 at 9:08pm

Just delete your browser cache.

Romeo

2 December 2009 at 12:10am

That would deal with the symptoms, not the cause (and is effectively no better than a refresh). There is some problem within my Silverstripe setup which is causing this to happen repeatedly (with different browsers on different machines as well). That's what I want to sort out.

baba-papa

Community Member, 279 Posts

2 December 2009 at 12:14am

I a browser caches data, there is nothing SS can do about it.

Romeo

2 December 2009 at 2:42am

There IS, of course, something SS can do about it - there's a whole range of cache control headers which a web server can issue to help manage browser cacheing. But I don't think it's anything to do with the browser cache as such - I'm pretty sure that first time, SS is serving the page without the form fields and then on a subsequent request is serving the required fields. I'll check this out next time it occurs.

banal

Community Member, 901 Posts

2 December 2009 at 3:09am

I had this behavior too with older versions of SilverStripe (where OpenID authentication was installed). I think it's more of a JavaScript issue with scripts behaving differently when loaded or when cached.. probably because of order of execution.
What Version of SilverStripe are you using? I suggest you override the Login template with a custom one (mysite/templates/Security_login.ss) and check if that helps.

Romeo

2 December 2009 at 4:08am

I was using 2.3.3, but I just upgraded to 2.3.4 and the problem is still there (although if anything slightly worse - the fields don't look right when they do display, but that might be a factor of my upgrade procedure). I'll try out your override suggestion, thanks.