Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

DataObjectDecorator for Page_Controller init()?

3 Posts   2466 Views

ChrisBryer

Community Member, 95 Posts

3 December 2009 at 5:02pm

how can i use dataobjectdecorator to override a Page_Controller's init method?

I'm trying this, but it isnt overriding init.. (it will override index() though)

class PodcastController extends DataObjectDecorator {

public function init(){
      Debug::dump('testing init call');
   }
}

_config.php:
DataObject::add_extension('Page_Controller', 'PodcastController');

thanks alot,
-Chris

Sean

Forum Moderator, 922 Posts

3 December 2009 at 9:17pm

Edited: 03/12/2009 9:22pm

I think what you may need to do is extend from Extension, not DataObjectDecorator. Also, I notice you've called it a PodcastController. Semantically speaking, this doesn't make sense. It would probably be something more like PodcastPageExtension.

Try defining onBeforeInit() or onBeforeInit() on your extension class that is applied to Page_Controller.

I think onBeforeInit() and onAfterInit() are only in 2.4. However, you could apply this patch if using SS 2.3: [url]http://open.silverstripe.org/changeset/78035/modules/sapphire/trunk/core/control/Controller.php[/url]

In your _config.php, do the following instead as well:

Object::add_extension('Page_Controller', 'PodcastController');

Just out of interest, what are you trying to achieve with the extension to Page_Controller?

Sean

ChrisBryer

Community Member, 95 Posts

5 December 2009 at 9:35am

Edited: 05/12/2009 9:36am

Hi Sean,
thanks for your answer.

out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with overriding index() instead of init()?

what i am doing is building a podcast module which essentially contains a dataobject that holds information for each episode, and gets attached to pages through a many_many relationship table. i considered making a podcast page, but i wanted to investigate extending pre-existing classes and overriding init() to add the podcast rss feed so itunes users can subscribe.

thanks again,
-Chris