Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

$layout

4 Posts   810 Views

paul95

Community Member, 2 Posts

9 December 2009 at 8:20am

hi
just installed the whole thing and i'm looking around the blackcandy theme,
and somehow - despite the documentation - i just don't see why it's the $layout
inside the layout-div that can be edited, in other words, that gets the html editor.

and should i just be able to add more divs of my own containing such '$variables'
to get parts of a site updateable?

i will be looking around a few hours more, hopefully in the meantime there will be
some answers to this post

kind regards

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

9 December 2009 at 8:52am

$Layout triggers the loading of a subtemplate from the /templates/Layout/ folder. If you have a Page.ss in /templates/ which has a $Layout then it will load the /templates/Layout/Page.ss template as well. http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=themes:developing has some information on the nested templates but doesn't go into much detail. You could think of $Layout as a 'special' kind of include which includes a template from /templates/Layout.

paul95

Community Member, 2 Posts

9 December 2009 at 2:13pm

so how do I actually make certain div's in a website that I made editable?

AdamJ

Community Member, 145 Posts

9 December 2009 at 3:10pm

You should really check out the tutorials in the documentation. It will answer your questions.