Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Problem loading website, silverstripe stalls in the loading process

Go to End

8 Posts   931 Views

Euey

Community Member, 4 Posts

5 June 2015 at 2:01pm

Edited: 05/06/2015 2:02pm

My developer has gone on an OE and having migrated my website to another hosting company its all gone kaputt! Naively I thought i could transfer the files and the website would instantly work.

www.industrialprimeproperty.com

I've resolved all the server issues with the database and some other errors but now rather than the website loading i get the following appear:

Home
RDTFGYHUIJ
Generated with the default ContentController.ss template

can anyone help with a solution??

Pyromanik

Community Member, 419 Posts

5 June 2015 at 10:44pm

From the top of my head, the process goes (assuming you're using Apache, mod_PHP, MySQL):

Copy database - no changes needed.
Copy the files - be sure to include 'dot' files, such as .htaccess (hidden by default on many systems) & _ss_environment.php as well (may not be in your site's folder - could be in any ancestor folder also).
Create (or otherwise ensure it is entirely empty) silverstripe-cache (sits in your site's 'root' folder, next to mysite, assets, themes, etc)
Ensure the web user has permission to read the files
Ensure the web user has permission to write to assets and sub files/folders.
Ensure the database details in the config are correct. This could be in a couple of places (depending on version, setup, etc): _ss_environment.php or mysite/_config.php
Put the site into dev mode: http://docs.silverstripe.org/en/3.1/getting_started/environment_management/
load the site with dev/build
load the site with ?flush=all
Put the site back into live mode
???
enjoy.

Euey

6 June 2015 at 11:57am

Pyromanik this is how the file are set up. The first screenshot is the root folder. The second is the htdocs folder which the hosting company says the files need to be in to run the website. Before they were in httpdocs and there is in-fact still a copy of them all in httpdocs!!

Not sure how to put the site into dev mode onwards in your instructions.

Any chance i can give you ftp access to look over the files, given your knowledge you might be able to do in 2 mins what would take me a week!

Euey

Euey

6 June 2015 at 12:50pm

I have also noticed I have two .htaccess files, one in htdocs and one in the sapphire directory. Are both required?

Pyromanik

7 June 2015 at 7:49am

Yep, they all are, but the important one is in the silverstripe root (htdocs).
If you can edit it using your control panel there just open it to ensure the RewriteBase line reads:
RewriteBase /
(it should do, you're not hosting the site under a subdomain, and presumably weren't before either).

At this point I think it is just the cache. Empty the silverstripe-cache folder (or delete it and re-create it, probably easier).
Open industrialprimeproperty/_config.php and enter on the very last line:
Director::set_environment_type('dev')';
Then load your site: industrialprimeproperty.com/dev/build (you should be prompted for your admin login)
Then load your site: industrialprimeproperty.com?flush=all
Then remove the addition you made to the config file above.

Hopefully it all goes well and you'll be away laughing.

Euey

7 June 2015 at 12:10pm

I just got a white screen of death when I put it in dev mode.

When i take it out of dev mode it still has the original text on the homepage.

Going back into the new silverstripe-cache directory there is a list as long as my leg of things see attached screenshot.

I've tried phoning four developers in Wellington and no-one has returned my calls. Any chance you can e-mail me Pyromanik at euan@industrialprimeproperty.com and I can give you the ftp info to go in and have a squiz?

Euey

Pyromanik

9 June 2015 at 9:20am

Oh whoops, it's because I have an extra quote before the semicolon.
Director::set_environment_type('dev')';

Remove the bold one on the end.
And yeah I know the cache is full of files, that's why you need to empty it. It's the easiest way to 'reset' a site (but not the content - that's in the database).

LifeLine999

Community Member, 1 Post

14 July 2015 at 3:43am

I have experienced the same problem.

Thanks for all the advice.

Regards

Keith

http://www.lifelinefirstaidtrainingbelfast.co.uk/