Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Help with the _t function

3 Posts   1405 Views

yurigoul

Community Member, 202 Posts

18 December 2009 at 11:30am

Can someone please explain to me how I have to use the _t function in my templates with php and with js?

I have translatable and i18n turned on in my config and everything seems ok (login page is German and I can create translations)

In sapphire/lang/de_DE.php it says: $lang['de_DE']['SearchForm']['SEARCH'] = 'Suche';
In sapphire/lang/en_US.php it says: $lang['de_DE']['SearchForm']['SEARCH'] = 'Search';

I use _t('SEARCHFORM.SEARCH') in my page.php to set the text of the searchbutton, but the searchbutton gets no text (and there is no error).

i18n.js loads de_DE and en_US language files, and the translation for SEARCHFORM.SEARCH is in those files. However, if I use <% _t('SEARCHFORM.SEARCH') %> the result is again empty.

I have looked everywhere in wiki and forum and book, but I can not find anything, so it must be something fairly obvious that I am missing :-)

Juanitou

Community Member, 323 Posts

18 December 2009 at 12:01pm

Hi!

Well, SearchForm and SEARCHFORM are two different strings, aren’t they?

Hope it helps,
Juan

yurigoul

Community Member, 202 Posts

18 December 2009 at 1:13pm

Edited: 18/12/2009 1:46pm

Ok both now work, I feel a bit stupid

I thought one would go over the js and one not, but they both go over the php

Alas they are now somehow both in german... I will look into it

EDIT: it worked completely as soon as I reinserted the code below into the page_controller->init even though it changes the language of the login form (part is in german, the other part is in english):

if($this->dataRecord->hasExtension('Translatable')) {
i18n::set_locale($this->dataRecord->Locale);
}