Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Upgrade pathways?

Go to End

2 Posts   1533 Views

KatieH

Community Member, 1 Post

20 August 2015 at 7:54pm

Hi,

I've inherited a website, and I'm not sure what version of silverstripe it's running on, nor am I certain how to check this.
I wanted to see if it was possible to upgrade the CMS or if there's a way to fix an error.

When users log into the system, at the top of the site it says: "Your logged in as [username]". How on earth do I find the code that does this so that I can update it to say "You're logged in as [username]. The site in question is http://mppda.flinders.edu.au/.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Katie

Pyromanik

Community Member, 419 Posts

21 August 2015 at 1:51am

Edited: 21/08/2015 1:55am

Haha, rude (the grammatical error) :<
Your site is running an old version (2.x)

SS version can be checked in a number of ways.

In the CMS, hover over the logo in the top left.
In older versions (if the menu goes horizontally accross rather than down the left) then the version is (usually) printed in text in the lower right of the CMS.

The origin of this number found in one of the following:

• sapphire/silverstripe_version
  • cms/silverstripe_version
  • framework/silverstripe_version

if the CMS looks similar to the one at http://demo.silverstripe.org/admin - then you've got 3.x
If the above mentioned file contains just $URL, then you've got 2.4.6+
if you've got sapphire instead of framework, it's a reasonably safe bet you've got 2.x.

Upgrading is a simple process of (backing up first!) replacing framework & cms with the updated version... NORMALLY (not in your case, unfortunately).
There are siginifcant API changes between 2.x and 3.x, as one would expect. There are minor API changes between 3.0 and 3.1 that you will need to edit.

Details can be found in the changelogs on http://docs.silverstripe.org on the major and minor version jumps.

You won't need to upgrade to fix that error though, luckily.
You'll find the translation files sitting in sapphire/lang or cms/lang, and the offending text in whatever is set in mysite/_config.php as the default locale (.php)
Although more likely they'll be sitting in mysite/lang - because looking on github, the translation files have the correct "You\'re" all the way back to 2.2 - so it could be a custom translation someone has added (eg. en_AU)

OR...

It it's not the admin area (URLs: site/Security/* or site/admin/*) then you're probably viewing a custom 'front end back end' that a developer (who has trouble with grammatically correct English) has put together.
In which case you should be looking in mysite/templates or themes/<themename>/templates (where <themename> is the value you'll find set in mysite/_config.php)

In short - just ssh into the server and use grep -rin 'your logged in as' installdir/*

Happy hunting!