Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Terribly slow CMS

Go to End

40 Posts   14375 Views

Judge

Community Member, 79 Posts

22 January 2010 at 4:14am

Edited: 22/01/2010 4:20am

If I try turning the site on to development mode (example.co.uk/anypage?isDev=1) I just get this error, along with a white screen:

No current controller available in /var/www/vhosts/example.co.uk/httpdocs/sapphire/core/control/Controller.php on line 343

public static function curr() {
		if(Controller::$controller_stack) {
			return Controller::$controller_stack[0];
		} else {
			user_error("No current controller available", E_USER_WARNING);
		}
	}

It did ask for a username and password the first time. I assume by "username" it means "administrator email"?

Sorry if this is beginning to drift off-topic.

-- Jason

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

22 January 2010 at 4:19am

Hmmm... no clue there .. Are you sure you typed the URL correctly ?

e.g. www.blabla.com?isDev=1

Indeed, you should fill in your admin credentials when silverstripe asks....

Judge

22 January 2010 at 4:21am

Edited: 22/01/2010 4:29am

When the debugging tools need debugging before we can debug, we are pretty much stuffed in terms of moving forward :-(

Edit: isTest=1 works, so that helps by being able to view queries and various debug information.

Fuzz10

22 January 2010 at 4:31am

;-)

Well .. isDev works fine here ... Never had any problems with it..

Judge

22 January 2010 at 4:38am

The error is followed by this one:

Call to a member function getSession() on a non-object in /var/www/vhosts/example.co.uk/httpdocs/sapphire/core/Session.php on line 60

Could be something to do with sessions. I assume once you put the site into development or test mode, it is just for you session and not for all sessions across the whole site? I can imagine how easy it would be to switch it on to check something in a live site and forget to turn it off, so you would not want other people being able to get in there and view the internals with a few choice parameters.

I have seen that type of thing happen on other sites when developers accidentally leave PHPbug code turned on, and up pops debug messages in my FF browser. Whoops.

-- Jason

Fuzz10

22 January 2010 at 4:40am

Just for your session indeed... It would be quite silly otherwise...

Weird error you got there....

Billy Bob

Community Member, 9 Posts

22 January 2010 at 8:35am

Last post on this subject. I have 'wasted' too much time and effort and have businesses to run, and 27 years in this industry believe me I know a problem is software, hardware or configuration issues when I see one, and this one is definitely a SS issue.

I have tried numerous times with V 2.3.4 it's hopeless and get's worse. I have tried a friends brand new dedicated server, no sites loaded at all on it, tried V 2.3.4, tried all the workarounds for speed/performance improvements. Absolutely no different whatsoever. Tried V 2.4 on the original server, slight improvement but nothing to sing a song about. Tried V 2.4 on my friends brand new Dell dedicated server and it's marginally better but not usable in a live environmet. The time I have wasted pi**ing about with SS I could have had the site done and dusted.

I much appreciate all your input and assistance but the use of SS has been binned. I 'may' call back in 6 months or so and see how things are then and give it a try.

MateuszU

Community Member, 89 Posts

22 January 2010 at 8:54am

Judge, I think the dev mode gets enabled anyway, it just crashes immediately afterwards. This happens on clean 2.4 install, here is a ticket: http://open.silverstripe.org/ticket/4947 . Which version are you using, Judge?