Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Terribly slow CMS

Go to End

40 Posts   14376 Views

Judge

Community Member, 79 Posts

22 January 2010 at 9:25am

Edited: 22/01/2010 9:26am

I'm running 2.3.4 with a few modules. I've had a look to see if the problem could be in any of the modules, but it appears the dev stuff is only in the core. It does bypass a few of the permissions, so perhaps something is getting included that isn't normally. That's just a guess though. If I discover anything, I'll add it to that bug.

Billy Bob: I have also been in IT for 27 years (if you count my informative years programming assembly on a ZX81 as "IT"). I have learnt that if one system runs an order of magnitude slower than another, then there is usually a configuration issue. I'm running SS on a fairly average system with a few modules and a dozen pages - just me, but I'm still evaluating. Each page is delivered in 100mS on average. There are around 20 queries, all running in less than 5mS each, and taking up 60% of the total time (the other 40% being the execution of PHP). Memory usage tops out at 15Mbyte per request.

Although that says nothing about how the system will scale under load, it does tell us that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the CMS performance. Really. Obviously it is not for everyone, and I appreciate that we often just need to get a job done and don't have the time to mess around debugging applications. So, I wish you the best in whatever system you eventually choose, but I just felt I could not leave the thread hanging like that.

-- Jason

Taffy

Community Member, 119 Posts

22 January 2010 at 9:53pm

If it was SilverStripe, I and countless other developers would not be using it. You would also not have high profile sites like the Democratic National Convention and Guitar hero powered by SS.

AlexB

Community Member, 4 Posts

8 February 2010 at 12:12pm

I have consistently found that if the /assets directory does not have the right permissions set SilverStripe runs very slowly. This contains the default upload directory - SS upload functions will not work if write permissions are not correctly set. The settings:

chmod -R 777 assets

Before finding this, I did look on the forum for mention of a solution to the speed problem with no luck. It does seem that a great many people have been frustrated with this issue, and I gather many have criticisized and abandoned SS as a slow platform. Is there more to it than this? Let me know if this helps.

Judge

Community Member, 79 Posts

8 February 2010 at 12:34pm

Edited: 08/02/2010 12:35pm

I remember another CMS - Xaraya - that needed write access to the template cache. If it did not have write access, then every template accessed would be compiled from XML into PHP on every page load. The compiled templates would never get cached. That *really* slowed things down.

-- Jason

Billy Bob

Community Member, 9 Posts

8 February 2010 at 2:36pm

Alex,

I will give that a try and report back my findings in the next couple of days.

Fingers crossed!

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

8 February 2010 at 10:02pm

Edited: 08/02/2010 10:04pm

> I have consistently found that if the /assets
> directory does not have the right permissions
> set SilverStripe runs very slowly

The JavaScript combiner writes it's js files here - could be the cause?

If SilverStripe can't write to the template cache it shouldn't work at all.

Billy Bob, I think we've established pretty thoroughly that 11 second page loads are atypical. You shouldn't need to be doing any special performance tweaks to get relatively good page load times. The fact that your code is running equally slowly on other peoples servers indicates that the cause is something that you've added or modified.

Have you made any changes, aside from a stock standard Page.php at all? Can you post your _config.php file (sans password of course)? Could you also list what modules you're using. If you have created any other page classes, a quick description of they do (or even better, code) would be useful too. Finally, have you checked your error.log file?

It would also be useful if you could profile the request Firebug. If you profile a normal page request you'll see exactly how long each element is taking to load. For all we know you've got a wonky rewrite rule causing the issue (recursion, anyone?).

Edit: If it still isn't working after trying all this, I'd love to know why just as much as you do. If you're ok to trust someone with your code, I'll happily load it up on a machine and take a look at the complete package.

Billy Bob

Community Member, 9 Posts

9 February 2010 at 1:02pm

AlexB wrote: I have consistently found that if the /assets directory does not have the right permissions set SilverStripe runs very slowly. This contains the default upload directory - SS upload functions will not work if write permissions are not correctly set. The settings:

chmod -R 777 assets

Since changing this the site load times have been improved dramatically. Almost instantaneous page loads on ALL site pages, just how all the sites perform on the server. The page that always took the longest to load was my contact us page that consisted of a form. No lag at all on that page either.

I have to be honest I was becoming irate (you could probably tell) and wanted above all else for SilverStripe to perform decently.

All being well this is hopefully going to be a good CMS for me to learn and use a great deal more.

Anyway it looks like job sorted and most of all a big thanks to all you guys who have posted.

Can't hang around any longer, I've a CMS to crack on with. :-)

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

9 February 2010 at 1:12pm

W00t, Alex wins a cookie.

Created a ticket:

http://open.silverstripe.org/ticket/5049