Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Terribly slow CMS

Go to End

40 Posts   14374 Views

biapar

Forum Moderator, 435 Posts

19 January 2010 at 12:18am

Edited: 19/01/2010 12:33am

Have you tried with basic site and see if have you high CPU/MEM?

See: http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=staticpublisher

Billy Bob

Community Member, 9 Posts

19 January 2010 at 12:32am

Yes, Zend Optimizer is fully enabled.

biapar, The site only has 6 pages and there is content on 4 of them, including a form on the Contact Us page. May I also add that there is no audio, video or Flash content, it's all static content with no more than 8 graphics across the site so far.

I may try installing the 2.4 Alpha version. If I do I will keep you updated.

Thanks guys.

biapar

19 January 2010 at 1:20am

Uhm...

Try to open http://www.reneeblanche.it/ or http://www.aessesrl.it/ . Have you same speed to open?

We have a web and a startup hosting company. If you want, I give you a free space only for testing to see If problem is hosting or not.

Billy Bob

Community Member, 9 Posts

19 January 2010 at 1:54am

Those 2 sites open fine, < 2 seconds. Most of the sites in the showcase load as one would like. Thanks for the offer of the temp hosting.

I have today tried this on a friends hosting service and it's exactly the same. His servers are with Webfusion here in the UK and he is of the smae opimion as I am, SilverStripe is the issue.

May I say all sites I am visiting, either in the US, NZ, Australia and Facebook are all loading < 2 seconds, most are instant. All sites I host are all loading exceptionally quickly and no customers are reporting issues. I am FTP'ing all day long, no issues at all.

It's a SilverStripe issue and not a hosting issue.

My net connection is 50 megabit Virgin Cable.

biapar

19 January 2010 at 5:06am

How much ram do you give to PHP Process?

Taffy

Community Member, 119 Posts

19 January 2010 at 5:24am

Edited: 19/01/2010 5:25am

I'm in the UK running on a windows box with Apache (FastCGI) and don't have any performance complaints. 500+ pages/5,000 visits a day.

I'm not even using xcache or the static publisher, which I know has helped a lot of people.

Judge

Community Member, 79 Posts

21 January 2010 at 3:23pm

Edited: 21/01/2010 3:24pm

Those two Italian sites are unusably slow. It takes several minutes per page to come up. In fact, there were three or four other Italian sites in the sample sites that are this slow. I suspect the host is having problems.

I'm not sure what effect memory would have on the PHP process. So far as I know, the process will use what it needs and will fail if it runs out. I don't think the amount of overhead affects its speed. Of course, if the overhead is too high, then you will be eating more into the server resources, especially when the server load is high.

Are there any tools for SilverStripe that will log all the database queries and their timings? I have found that kind of thing to be very useful on other CMSs. Often a single bad query can bring a site down. You don't even need to be knowingly accessing that query as Google is doing all that hard work for you (constantly).

-- Jason

Fuzz10

Community Member, 791 Posts

21 January 2010 at 9:16pm

You can do some profiling by using the URL tools have a look @ http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=urlvariabletools&s=url%20tools