Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Draft/Publish site not working?

4 Posts   2212 Views

Landon

Community Member, 7 Posts

14 January 2010 at 6:59am

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but this is what is going on...

I installed a fresh version of 2.3.4 and made a simple change of "Welcome to Silverstripe" to a h1 instead of just regular text and hit "Save", please note that I am not hitting "Save and Publish". Then I go to the draft site and the content is updated so I can proof it, and then I go to the published site (?stage=Live) and it's not changed on there... so far so good, right? Then I go to my live page (without ?stage=Live) and the changes I made to the draft site are there - live.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

14 January 2010 at 9:13am

I'm pretty sure it might store the value of the current stage in a cookie / session. So if you're viewing the draft site then go to / then it will probably still be in draft mode.

You could double check what stage everything is in by having something like a debug statement in the Page.php init() function like

// mysite/code/Page.php

function init() {
Debug::show(Versioned::current_stage());
}

Then you'll be sure what stage you're on. The other thing that could be happening is the page template could be cached and carrying misleading values.

Landon

Community Member, 7 Posts

14 January 2010 at 9:40am

Willr -

That's what it was. I didn't realize it was pulling a cached version of the draft site.

Thanks!

gour

Community Member, 22 Posts

15 June 2011 at 10:38pm

Hello,

I'm pretty sure it might store the value of the current stage in a cookie / session. So if you're viewing the draft site then go to / then it will probably still be in draft mode.

I've similar problem while working/learning SS with the help of SS 'book' (I've just arrived at chapter 5 where the real fun begins)...I've added some text & image to my Home page, but when I try to see the 'Published site' with the: http://ss.local/index.php/?stage=Live link I get 404 (Page not found) error, although visiting http://ss.local/ renders OK?

I'm aware it might be something with the cookies/cache, but it makes development harder or more problematic than it should be.

Any hint what to do in order to be able to quickly check how the {draft,published} sites look like with the help of SS' back-end links meant for such purpose?

Sincerely,
Gour