Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

character set

Go to End

12 Posts   2131 Views

Solo

Community Member, 32 Posts

2 February 2010 at 7:38pm

Ok I'm from Russian, and my site have different from English language, i have a problem with character set in my database, it is utf-8, and Russian simbols looks not for they must:Новый. In CMS and in the site it looks well, but i think it may case problems in future. How i can solve this problem?

banal

Community Member, 901 Posts

2 February 2010 at 8:37pm

Don't worry. This is most likely a problem of the client you're using to connect to the MySQL DB.
UTF-8 encodes all characters outside the ASCII set with 2 bytes instead of one byte, so the data you see is correct, just not correctly interpreted as UTF-8 by your client software. What are you using to browse the MySQL Data? PhpMyAdmin?

Solo

3 February 2010 at 1:30pm

Edited: 03/02/2010 6:26pm

Yes it case in phpMyAdmin, and when sapphire replays an error. I have modx, wordpress, and more cms and they haven't this problem, there database in phpMyAdmin is ok, so why this happens only with SS?

banal

Community Member, 901 Posts

3 February 2010 at 8:27pm

Maybe SilverStripe doesn't set the encoding of the table correctly and assumes UTF-8 to be default? Honestly, I don't know. Did you try playing with the encoding settings in PhpMyAdmin?
Maybe a core dev could shed some light on this?

Solo

3 February 2010 at 8:40pm

No i did nothing. I even reinstall cms and the database. The problem is only with Russian letters, English displays correctly.

Solo

3 February 2010 at 8:51pm

Maybe some Russian members can help me?

carlos

Community Member, 41 Posts

5 February 2010 at 3:27pm

Hi Solo

give this a try an let me know

add it in mysite > _config.php

$databaseConfig["type"] = 'MySQLUnicodeDatabase';

cheers

Solo

5 February 2010 at 3:52pm

Edited: 06/02/2010 5:03pm

When i try to put this:

$databaseConfig["type"] = 'MySQLUnicodeDatabase';

in my _config.php,
i get this error:

Fatal error: Class 'MySQLUnicodeDatabase' not found in G:\MySites\MySite\sapphire\core\model\DB.php on line 79.

I'll try to use another from phpMyAdmin client - dbForge Studio for MySQL, so wrong letters displays there too.
When i install blog module i have ���� in tagCloud.

Go to Top