Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Active link

5 Posts   2108 Views

Lee

Community Member, 6 Posts

9 February 2010 at 11:32pm

Hi, I'm tying to get my navigation menu to highlight which page you are on using this code

<ul id="menu">
      <% control getTopNav %>
               <% if First %>
                  <li class="first<% if LinkorSection = section %> active<% end_if %>"><a href=$Link>$MenuTitle</a></li>
               <% else_if Last %>
                  <li class="last"><a href=$Link>$MenuTitle</a></li>
               <% else %>
                  <li><a href=$Link>$MenuTitle</a></li>
               <% end_if %>
            <% end_control %>
</ul>

It highlight the hompage when your on that page but not on any others??

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

banal

Community Member, 901 Posts

10 February 2010 at 2:08am

Edited: 10/02/2010 2:09am

Hi
In your code you're only highlighting the first item, since you only apply the "active" class in the <% if First %> block.

The whole code can be written much much simpler, like this:

<ul id="menu">
   <% control getTopNav %>
   <li class="$FirstLast $LinkOrSection"><a href=$Link>$MenuTitle</a></li>
   <% end_control %>
</ul>

Because $FirstLast will output "first" for the first item, and "last" for the last item.. no need for the if-else blocks. Same goes for $LinkOrSection. It will either output "link" or "section" (see here for a reference of these controls: http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=built-in-page-controls).
The only thing you need to do is change your stylesheet from .active to .section

Lee

10 February 2010 at 2:23am

Thanks for the reply,

I just swapped that code for mine and changed the class in the stylesheet but seem to get the same effect?

banal

Community Member, 901 Posts

10 February 2010 at 4:39am

Did you try flushing the template-cache of the page? (by appending ?flush=1 to the URL)

Lee

10 February 2010 at 5:01am

Edited: 10/02/2010 5:02am

I tried flushing it, the funny thing is that now it's suddenly highlighting on the homepage and the news pages but none of the others.

EDIT -

I had only flushed the news page and not the rest, now i am they seem to be working too!

Thanks for the help!