Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Active link

5 Posts   2003 Views

Lee

9 February 2010 at 11:32pm Community Member, 6 Posts

Hi, I'm tying to get my navigation menu to highlight which page you are on using this code

<ul id="menu">
      <% control getTopNav %>
               <% if First %>
                  <li class="first<% if LinkorSection = section %> active<% end_if %>"><a href=$Link>$MenuTitle</a></li>
               <% else_if Last %>
                  <li class="last"><a href=$Link>$MenuTitle</a></li>
               <% else %>
                  <li><a href=$Link>$MenuTitle</a></li>
               <% end_if %>
            <% end_control %>
</ul>

It highlight the hompage when your on that page but not on any others??

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

banal

10 February 2010 at 2:08am (Last edited: 10 February 2010 2:09am), Community Member, 901 Posts

Hi
In your code you're only highlighting the first item, since you only apply the "active" class in the <% if First %> block.

The whole code can be written much much simpler, like this:

<ul id="menu">
   <% control getTopNav %>
   <li class="$FirstLast $LinkOrSection"><a href=$Link>$MenuTitle</a></li>
   <% end_control %>
</ul>

Because $FirstLast will output "first" for the first item, and "last" for the last item.. no need for the if-else blocks. Same goes for $LinkOrSection. It will either output "link" or "section" (see here for a reference of these controls: http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=built-in-page-controls).
The only thing you need to do is change your stylesheet from .active to .section

Lee

10 February 2010 at 2:23am Community Member, 6 Posts

Thanks for the reply,

I just swapped that code for mine and changed the class in the stylesheet but seem to get the same effect?

banal

10 February 2010 at 4:39am Community Member, 901 Posts

Did you try flushing the template-cache of the page? (by appending ?flush=1 to the URL)

Lee

10 February 2010 at 5:01am (Last edited: 10 February 2010 5:02am), Community Member, 6 Posts

I tried flushing it, the funny thing is that now it's suddenly highlighting on the homepage and the news pages but none of the others.

EDIT -

I had only flushed the news page and not the rest, now i am they seem to be working too!

Thanks for the help!