Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Error Page 404 not working

Go to End

3 Posts   2268 Views

katja

Community Member, 46 Posts

16 February 2010 at 12:23am

Edited: 16/02/2010 12:23am

Hello,

I have two different sites where the generation of the 404 page from the page template is not working (this happens only on the remote server, not locally). When calling a URL that doesn't exist I get the following message from the server: "Website Error Not Found The website server has not been able to respond to your request."

After reading this post I have got round this by creating an html error page and uploading it to the assets folder. But I don't know how good that is as a long-term solution. When changing the template one always has to create a new html page.

I'd be grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction to solve this.

Thanks,
Katja

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

16 February 2010 at 5:17pm

The 404 page should regenerate when ever you publish it in the CMS. So if you make changes to the theme then publish the page in the cms after your changes are made. SS will generate the html for you.

The reason its a html page is because some errors occur on the silverstripe level so if you relied on silverstripe to generate the error page but generating the page caused the error you wouldn't get the error page. You should make sure your assets folder is writable for that file as well.

katja

Community Member, 46 Posts

17 February 2010 at 5:43am

Hi Will,

Thank you very much for your reply. I wasn't aware that it was the publishing that generates the html file. It is all working now.

Katja