Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

my first template, I have a working CSS layout but when I put it into a page.ss I get horizontal space around my images???

3 Posts   630 Views

TF-35Lightning

Community Member, 137 Posts

23 March 2010 at 5:39pm

Hi all,

I have a few basic questions regarding my first time setup of a template with ss.

1st:
I have copied a good working CSS layout into a silver stripe page.ss file in the hope that the original design should hold up pretty well, which it does apart from having a 1 or 2 pixel gap along the horizontal edge of all of my images which I am trying to work out why that is.

I'm examining all the CSS files across the SS site and in the saphire/css directory trying to find out what is making it do this?

2nd
Why is that no matter what I get the SS bottom footer (page view in: CMS Draft Site Published) bar despite not even being logged into or looking at the admin? Obvously I don't want people to see that bar.
Is that just the default way a SS site installs and I simply remove
$SilverStripeNavigator
from the page.ss
???

Or maybe that is just the default way for the tutorial template which I am basing my own template off.

Seems a bit silly,

Any help would be great

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5513 Posts

23 March 2010 at 7:01pm

1 - Your best bet is to install Firebug which is a plugin for firefox. Using this you can dig through the css.

2 - I believe the nav bar only is enabled for every one when your site is in devmode. If it is in livemode it should hide the bar.

TF-35Lightning

Community Member, 137 Posts

23 March 2010 at 7:55pm

HI Will thanks for the help, I've been able to locate the problem. I designed my initial css layout with a doc type of:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

it only just occurred to me that SS uses a doc type of.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

and this is what is causing the rendering difference, so I guess I'll have to get my design working around this new doc type and hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks again