Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Core dumps. Safe to delete?

Go to End

6 Posts   8903 Views

Web Designer Perth

Community Member, 49 Posts

29 March 2010 at 9:35pm

No expert here but in my sapphire directory I've got more than a dozen core.xxxx files - mostly over 80mb each.

Can I delete them all?

They are all recent - last few days - only issue that's been reported is memory exhausted on using search.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hamish

Community Member, 712 Posts

30 March 2010 at 8:03am

err, really? do you have a module installed that could be creating these? there is nothing in the default installation that I know of that would create these and if I saw them i would be thinking i had been hacked.

Web Designer Perth

30 March 2010 at 11:57am

Hi Hamish,

Can you help me understand what these files are - they seem to only have been created in the last few days - so that I can troubleshoot.

It would be ideal to be able to delete them, they are taking up a gig of disk space. Can you or anyone else confirm deleting all is OK?

ajshort

Community Member, 244 Posts

30 March 2010 at 11:58am

Core dumps are generated by PHP itself sometimes when it crashes - its just a memory dump. Unless you're planning to use them for debugging it's fine to delete them.

Web Designer Perth

30 March 2010 at 12:34pm

That's helpful ajshort. Thx.

What is it that's being dumped? The files are 80MB+.

I've checked error logs and there's nothing there for that period except a few 'memory exhausted' errors in relation to sapphire/core/Object.php - which seem to have been fixed by up'ing memory limit using php.ini method.

Appreciate any help to avoid this happening again.

bennettpr

Community Member, 37 Posts

14 June 2010 at 9:09am

I'm having this problem too - I upgraded a site to 2.4 and noticed the site was running out of allocated disk space a lot. These core.**** files are the culprit.

Any pointers welcome - based on other similar threads I'm assuming it may be a PHP bug in the core of a particular PHP version?

Paul