Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Dumb question for the day - how to edit the HTML on the home page

Go to End

3 Posts   1089 Views

dianac02

Community Member, 7 Posts

25 August 2016 at 4:30pm

Edited: 25/08/2016 4:32pm

Hi,
I've been dropped in it updating a website with SilverStripe. So far I've been able to figure virtually everything out by trial and error. But i have the oddest of problems. There's a heading on the home page that says: "Whats New" (<h2>Whats New</h2>) Some of you will understand that the lack of apostrope is driving me totally bonkers. However when I go into the SilverStripe tree and click on home: It simply says: ilverStripe! This is the default homepage. You can edit this page by opening the CMS. You can now access the developer documentation, or begin the tutorials." But 'm in the CMS. How do I find the HTML for this page? I clicked on the HTML button, but it simply gives me the HTML for that message above. ( <p>Welcome to SilverStripe! This is the default homepage. You can edit this page by opening <span class="broken ">the CMS</span>. You can now access the <a href="http://doc.silverstripe.com">developer documentation</a>, or begin <a href="http://doc.silverstripe.com/doku.php?id=tutorials">the tutorials.</a></p> ) Where do I find that actual HTML to edit?
I've poked around the help file and also the FAQ on this site. I'm sure that whoever answers will only have to point me to a page where this is spelled out.
Thanks!!!!

Vlad Belfort

Community Member, 55 Posts

25 August 2016 at 10:19pm

It'll most like be a file in the themes folder on the server.

If you need to know what page type it's using click on the settings tab while viewing that page and it'll tell you the name of it. The file name will be near enough the same.

Edit the file, save it and refresh the page. If changes don't appear append ?flush=1 into the URL and try again.

dianac02

Community Member, 7 Posts

26 August 2016 at 10:59am

Many thanks Vlad Belfort. You're a star.
Cheers
Diana