Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

We've moved the forum!

Please use forum.silverstripe.org for any new questions (announcement).
The forum archive will stick around, but will be read only.

You can also use our Slack channel or StackOverflow to ask for help.
Check out our community overview for more options to contribute.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, Ed, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba

Blank page - no errors, other pages in same class fine

Go to End

10 Posts   2341 Views

Double-A-Ron

Community Member, 607 Posts

7 April 2010 at 3:42pm

Edited: 07/04/2010 3:44pm

OK, I'm starting to pull my hair out over this one. I've seen it before, but in the past I've been able to at least some guidance from error logs or devmode.

I have a custom page type called "Tour". This page type has around a dozen published pages that are all fine except for just this one. It's blank white. No on-screen error even with ?isDev=1 and turning dev environment on in _config.php. I also set php error_reporting to E_ALL iin _config.php.

Also nothing in my error_logs.

If I change the page type to just a standard "Page", it displays fine. However the custom page type has custom fields so all this data is missing obviously. Change back to "Tour" page type. White page again.

I can only think this has something to do with content. I did find problems a while ago where the user copied and pasted MS Word text into a content field, and that messed up the template, but only from that point of the template onwards. Not the whole thing. I have searched the content and find no MSO code in the HTML.

I have also added an echo to the init() method of the "Tour_Controller". Works for the pages that are functioning, doesn't do anything for this problem page. (So init() is not firing for this one page). I have double checked that the page is the correct type.

Any further ideas on how I can debug this?

Aaron

Double-A-Ron

7 April 2010 at 4:01pm

More on this:

I downloaded a raw access log and looked for my own view of this page. I see the normal 200 response code for the page itself, but then 304 responses for all other elements of the page. Images, CSS, JS etc.

Could this be related? 304 is just a "not modified" header as far as I know.

Aaron

Double-A-Ron

7 April 2010 at 4:07pm

I have also totally removed all HTML from the Tour template. No change. The template is not even being used for this one page.

Aaron

Willr

Forum Moderator, 5523 Posts

7 April 2010 at 4:09pm

Is display_errors turned on in your php.ini. Sometimes if you have a page url the same as a classname eg a class Tour with a tour/ page SS dies a quiet death.

Perhaps post your code if its anything custom.

Double-A-Ron

7 April 2010 at 4:53pm

Edited: 07/04/2010 4:55pm

Hi Will,

Yup, display_errors are on. Host techie is also bamboozled. I have manually changed the URL to test that theory. No good.

Tour.php code attached. Although not sure if anyone will get anything out of it. As I said, all other pages set to the same type work just fine.

I have just tested an echo on the very top line of the Tour class. On the working Tour pages, I get the XML error as expected. Yet the problem page is still blank!

I don't geddit. It's like this one page isn't even finding the code that relates to it's page type. No wonder there isn't any errors. I've triple checked the type in the cms.

Aaron.

Double-A-Ron

7 April 2010 at 5:36pm

Just so no one wastes their time looking at the code above, I have isolated the problem.

Part of this page type is ten image fields. These get pulled together and made into a slideshow by the template using the setWidth method.

I went through and recreated the suspect page, one step at a time. When I got to these images, I merely manually added the image file id's to the Tours table to match those of the orignal. As soon as I did this, same problem occured.

I then went through and removed them one at a time. As soon as I removed the 10th one, all was well again.

So there is something up with this particular image. The other 9 images are fine.

Still investigating.

Aaron

Double-A-Ron

7 April 2010 at 5:39pm

Image in question has been uploaded as:

"25.-Boat-trip-along-the-face-of-the-Moreno-Galcier-El-Calafate-Argentina3.JPG"

Anyone know if the "25.", especially the full stop might be an issue?

Double-A-Ron

7 April 2010 at 5:49pm

Nope, there are other files named in a similar fashion.

I just checked file permissions. This one was set 0644 and a strange user/group 0f 99/99. Troubling thing is that there are more images with the same permissions in there.

So I assume this is a case of SetWidth not being able to modify an original image. So I guess there is two things for me to work out:

1. Why/Where have permissions suddenly changed for uploading through SS?
2. Why didn't this flag some sort of error?

This is version 2.3.1, so I'll probably start in the bug track.

Aaron

Go to Top