Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Google translate

6 Posts   8612 Views

frabraha

Community Member, 49 Posts

12 April 2010 at 9:45pm

I have tried to get the google translate to work with SS, but something strange happens.

In IE the google translate is showing, but when you choose a language all the font styles change to the browsers default style.
And in FireFox, I only get a javascript error in firebug that says: "An invalid or illegal string was specified" code: "12
(function(){function g(a){throw a;}var...ion qa(a,b){return a.currentTarget=b} "

Have no clue how to fix this, and can't find any help anywhere about this problem.
I have tried adding the google translate into a html page without SS and it works just fine there, but not in SS.

Anyone have a clue as to why its not working in Silverstripe?

sebastiankozub

Community Member, 40 Posts

24 October 2010 at 8:42pm

Edited: 24/10/2010 9:35pm

Hi, I have the same problem... any clues?

Requirements::customScript(<<<JS
alert("hi there");
JS
);

Requirements::customScript(<<<JS
         function googleTranslateElementInit() {
            new google.translate.TranslateElement({
               pageLanguage: 'pl',
               includedLanguages: 'en,cs,fr,de,sk,uk',
               layout: google.translate.TranslateElement.InlineLayout.SIMPLE
            }, 'google_translate_element');
         }   
JS
);

Requirements::javascript("//translate.google.com/translate_a/element.js?cb=googleTranslateElementInit");

I'm adding that alert() function works properly :/

sebastiankozub

24 October 2010 at 9:59pm

I noticed that if I add:

Requirements::javascript("//translate.google.com/translate_a/element.js?cb=googleTranslateElementInit");

silverstripe won't add this file to the html code,

but if I add:

Requirements::javascript("http://translate.google.com/translate_a/element.js?cb=googleTranslateElementInit");

silverstipe is adding it to html but in this form script does not work - I checked it on other pages ...
it must begin with "//"

Martijn

Community Member, 271 Posts

25 October 2010 at 12:55am

Silverstripe won't add the file because if it does not contain http it will assume its a local file and if it can't find it, it will not include the file.

I never used this script, but I can't imagine you have to use //scriptfile to include an external file.

Maybe a bummer, but make sure you read some docs about the api. There are some examples on the web and as far as I can see you need a Google API key as well to use the translate script.

sebastiankozub

25 October 2010 at 1:42am

Edited: 25/10/2010 10:04am

there's a code on the http://translate.google.com/translate_tools
that simply adds nice button to translate page. It works well on other pages. Is there a way to overwrite Requirements::javascript() function that allows me to include "//.." files. Where I can find this function - I dom't know Sapphire Framework.

<div id="google_translate_element"></div>
<script>
function googleTranslateElementInit() {
new google.translate.TranslateElement({
pageLanguage: 'pl'
}, 'google_translate_element');
}
</script>
<script src="//translate.google.com/translate_a/element.js?cb=googleTranslateElementInit"></script>

sebastiankozub

27 October 2010 at 7:45am

Is there a way to overwrite Requirements::javascript() function that allows me to include "//.." files.
Where I can find this function? - I don't know Sapphire Framework.