Skip to main content

This site requires you to update your browser. Your browsing experience maybe affected by not having the most up to date version.

General Questions /

General questions about getting started with SilverStripe that don't fit in any of the categories above.

Moderators: martimiz, Sean, biapar, Willr, Ingo, swaiba, simon_w

Subsites & Translatable - Any experiences?

3 Posts   1117 Views

Quarx

Community Member, 12 Posts

16 April 2010 at 11:38pm

I'm going to use subsites with ss2.4 very soon and in 4...12 months I will need translations for my sites.
So I wonder if the combination Subsites + Translatable is doable. I recall subsites adds separate SiteTree for each site while Translatable adds two columns for the Page to distinguish between language versions. So I guess theoretically they should work well together. Anyone tried to use those two modules at the same time? If they don't cooperate well I need to figure out other solution and it's probably better to think it through even before I start using subsites..

dompie

Community Member, 88 Posts

28 September 2010 at 3:35am

Edited: 28/09/2010 3:37am

Although Subsites generally works with translatable in SS 2.4.1, it is not a good implementation.
1. Subsites does absolutly no validation when creating new Subsites.
2. Deleting a Subsite does not delete related Pages/Subdomains in Database. Your Database will bloat over time.

Sequoia

Community Member, 5 Posts

24 November 2010 at 4:26am

Bump this, and has anyone successfully used these two together? I'm sure there are gotchas and I'd love to hear about them. :)

@dompie re: point (2) is bloat an issue specifically with deleting/creating subsites, or when using the site in general? I plan on having 2 subsites, no more no fewer, and I don't foresee adding/deleting any. Thanks!